Help me identify this windshield!!!

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Robert Manning
356 Fan

Help me identify this windshield!!!

#1 Post by Robert Manning »

I attended the Stoddard swap meet a few months ago. I bought several great items, however, one of them I purchased at the end of the event has me baffled. A seller had purchased all of the 356 stuff from a man's estate (from his wife). The man was supposedly just into 356s. The seller had a windshield that he thought was for a 356 but wasn't for sure. I checked the stoddard cataloge and the dimension at the center of the window was supposed to be 15.5" (1965 356C - B/A are 14.5"). The windshield in question was a little above 15 1/4". I decided to take a chance and bought it. Stoddard's packed and shipped it to me (thanks stoddard!). I got it home and got the 356 restoration car delivered. I checked out the window and it looked like it might fit height wise but the length was off by at least 6".

I took the information i could get on the windshield and looked on line. I keep coming up with results pointing to MG? I can't, however, nail it down. I really don't want to toss this windshield as it is vintage and someone, somewhere can use it. If you have ANY information that can help me identify it, I would be appreciative.

Information I have:

- The windshield is curved side to side (especially at the ends) more than a 356.
- The width (at the top of the windshield) is 44.5”
- The height at the center is 15.25”
- The height part way out to the ends if 15.50”
- The width at the bottom is 40.00”
- Windshield has ASI, Triplex, then three “x” in a triangle pattern, Laminated
- Windshield also has M31 – FWHP, Squiggly line d132, AGTP Gs80
- The “.” (dot) is over TRE

I can’t find my pictures of the markings – sorry.

I'm in Houston right now. My wife and I moved here exactly a year ago and 9 days later, I received a double lung transplant. Afterwards is when I found a 1965 356C "field find". It had been sitting in a field since 1974! I had it trucked to Colorado where it should still be high and more importantly dry in my garage. We are three stories up in an apartment and thank goodness, there is no flooding where we are :) at but it is all around us :o . (a little diversion is to post this question).

Thanks in advance.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Help me identify this windshield!!!

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Robert: I just Googled "ASI Triplex glass" and came up with the windshield markings. Sounds like it's from a MGA.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Karaba »

Yes TripleX is a British windshield brand, so an MGA makes sense. Jaguars also use TripleX. Their logo is three X's, hence Triple X.

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Karaba »

The manufacture used the term laminated after 1965, before that they marked them "toughened". The dot should be over a specific letter. You say it is over TRE but it should be directly above one of the letters and that will tell you the months of manufacture. There should also be a dot below the letters of the work laminated that will tell you the year of manufacture. No dot here indicates the "10" year, 1950, 1960, 1970,etc.

Robert Manning
356 Fan

#5 Post by Robert Manning »

Mike Wilson wrote:Robert: I just Googled "ASI Triplex glass" and came up with the windshield markings. Sounds like it's from a MGA.

Mike
Mike - I agree with you and i keep getting pointed to MG's but can't find one that the dimensions fit (maybe I'm not looking in the right spots).

Robert Manning
356 Fan

#6 Post by Robert Manning »

Jim Karaba wrote:The manufacture used the term laminated after 1965, before that they marked them "toughened". The dot should be over a specific letter. You say it is over TRE but it should be directly above one of the letters and that will tell you the months of manufacture. There should also be a dot below the letters of the work laminated that will tell you the year of manufacture. No dot here indicates the "10" year, 1950, 1960, 1970,etc.

Jim - I agree with you on your two posts. Unfortunately I found my dimensions list on the windshield while in Houston and I remember the dot was over ONE letter and I had it figured out but not on my sheet. When I get back to Colorado I'll repost with the correct information. I had NOT looked into Jags. Interesting option. and I'll post pictures at the same time.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#7 Post by Brad Ripley »

Figuring out a mystery windshield is a challenge. If you think it's from an old MG, see below for dimensions. That's from an old NAGS (National Auto Glass Specifications) book. There are many of those books and later that data is on line but only for auto glass professionals that are members of their trade association.

However, it may be that you could go to a glass shop like this https://www.safelite.com/stores/colorado-springs and they might use their computer system to search for the dimensions and come up with what the glass fits.

Oh, BTW, the "FCW" means: Foreign Car Windshield
Attachments
Windshield dimensions partial .jpg