How to Find matching motor?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Christ Charnas
356 Fan

How to Find matching motor?

#1 Post by Christ Charnas »

Is there a way to track down the numbers matching engin for my 1963 356b? I checked the VIN decoder and know what it says it should be. The motor in the car is a correct 356b, but from 1961.
How can I track down the correct motor?

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

Re: How to Find matching motor?

#2 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

First check this post
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13887

If you are VERY lucky somebody here is selling that engine.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Nelson »

But first he needs to locate the correct engine number for his car; can't go looking for the needle in the haystack until you know which needle you're looking for. If you run down Porsche representative at one of the big events, they will let you have a look at your car's Kardex, and the engine number will be on the Kardex.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#4 Post by Edwin Ek »

These days, Porsche will not tell you the original engine number for your car. If you first tell them a number, they will confirm whether it is correct or not.

This change in policy is relatively recent- within the last year or so. The motivation is to reduce fraudulent engine restamping.

At the last Werks Reunion (last month) I asked Christian Heller, the Porsche representative who has manned the magic Kardex laptop the last few years, about this. He said it is indeed true.

Tom Bridgers
356 Fan

#5 Post by Tom Bridgers »

Much like how they handled 911 authenticity. You gave them the number UNDER the dash pad on the Post-SWB cars and you got a "yes or no" regarding authenticity. An acquaintance who imported a fair number of '73 911-RS cars in the early 80's found one in France that had been re-bodied. He called the factory and gave them the "control" number and chassis number. "No" was the reply. He realized what was going on and didn't buy that one. It's out here somewhere like all the rest of them that have been re-created from magic dust and VIN numbers.
Good luck with the hunt!
1964 356 SC
1967 911
1974 911
1973 914S
2004 GT3