Cover for owners manual

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Drew Saunders
356 Fan

Re: Cover for owners manual

#16 Post by Drew Saunders »

Hi Joris
Thank you very much for your expert input.
I want to try and make a product that is as close to the original as possible.
I have spoken to my German card supplier and he is looking into a red alternative, I should have a sample in the next few days and will post a picture here when it arrives.
With regards the embossed Porsche crest, would it be possible to share a good quality picture so that I can adjust any inaccuracies.
Regards
Drew
1944 Type 82 Kubelwagen (Sold)
1959 RHD Coupe (Sold)
1959 LHD Convertible D (Sold)
1959 RHD Coupe (under restoration)
1959 LHD Convertible D (awaiting restoration)

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#17 Post by Joris Koning »

Drew,

I will take some close up pictures this weekend and send them to you. If you can send me samples of the other colors they send you I'd be happy to compare them to my original folders.

J.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Drew Saunders
356 Fan

#18 Post by Drew Saunders »

Thanks Joris

I will send on a sample when I get it and look forward to seeing your crest picture.
Regards
Drew
1959 RHD Coupe (Sold)

ThibautBoey
356 Fan
Tag: Thibaut

#19 Post by ThibautBoey »

Nice!
I never saw one before and would be pleased to have one ore two for my T2.

regards,
Thibaut
Thibaut,

Looking for engine #35176

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#20 Post by Tom Scott »

I am also interested in two covers. I do have an original, photos below.

Tom Scott
Attachments
005.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
001.JPG
004.JPG

Drew Saunders
356 Fan

#21 Post by Drew Saunders »

Thanks Tom for those pictures
This started out as a simple project to make a couple of folders for my restoration projects and has spiralled into a full on re-creation.
I have received some great high res pictures of the Porsche crest from Joris and I am creating completely new artwork for the die makers as it is far more intricate than my first attempt.
The card stock is also a big challenge, I have received a red card from Germany but it seems to be a bit light so I have contacted the supplier to see if there is a medium red (fingers crossed).
So thank you all for your interest, when I have got a product that I am happy with I will contact everyone who has asked for a folder and provide costs including shipping.
Regards
Drew
1959 RHD Coupe (Sold)

Peter Bartelli
356 Fan
Tag: Captain

#22 Post by Peter Bartelli »

Hi Drew,
If not too late, please add my name to this growing list. I would like two. Your effort looks impressive and much needed in this community.
Thanks,
Pete Bartelli

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#23 Post by Bill Sargent »

Drew,

I will take two of the folders when you have them ready. I have a UK account so can send a sterling check when you are ready.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Ignacio Vivancos
356 Fan

#24 Post by Ignacio Vivancos »

Drew,
I'm also interested in two.
Thanks
Ignacio Vivancos
Lakeway TX

56 A
69 911 T SWT
77 carrera 3.0
89 964 C4

Jim Stephenson
356 Fan

#25 Post by Jim Stephenson »

Please keep me in mind for two covers.

Thank You,

Jim Stephenson
56 Speedster
59 Super Sunroof Coupe

Jim Perrin
Registry Hall of Fame

#26 Post by Jim Perrin »

This is a follow up on Drew's November 6th post on how when the paper cover with the crest was used.

The earlier manual covers were the same maroon, but had "PORSCHE" embossed on the cover instead of the Porsche crest. (Of course the Porsche crest didn't even exist when the early cars went into production; I've read the crest was introduced in about late 1952.)

I have a complete owner's manual packet, and the maroon paper cover has the embossed crest. It is complete with the owner's manual, the service book, the Reutter body care booklet, and the Bosch battery papers. They are all in mint condition. The service book has the dealer stamp (Competition Motors, Hollywood, California) along with the chassis number and the engine number. None of the pages have been removed from the service book, not even the one the dealer was supposed to send in to have the warranty in effect. This owner's manual packet is from a Speedster that was 30 percent of the way through the 1958 model year.

Incidentally, by 1970 I had owned nine Speedsters (and still have the last one). Not a single one came with an owner's manual cover or any of the paper contents. That's because the paper contents and the paper cover were probably all substantially damaged after the first few serious rain storms. (There was a good reason why some owners used to drill a few holes in Speedster floors!)

Jim Perrin
Jim Perrin

Drew Saunders
356 Fan

#27 Post by Drew Saunders »

Hi Jim

Thank you for your input, do you remember where the PORSCHE logo was embossed, was it in the same place as the later crest (bottom right)?

If I can get some more info regarding this pre A folder I can set about creating a copy.

Regards
Drew
1959 RHD Coupe (Sold)

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#28 Post by Joris Koning »

Drew, send me a PM, I have a NOS example of the earlier folder
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#29 Post by James Davies »

Joris, Jim and others, I'd be interested in what you know about the use of the earlier folders with the PORSCHE embossing. I.e. when they were used. Certainly the early cars came with a Porsche owners manual, a Reutter body care booklet and warranty information on the radio. But I have not seen a single pre-A with one of these early red folders intact and with the car.

James

Jim Stephenson
356 Fan

#30 Post by Jim Stephenson »

Guys,

I think when the A's came out in mid 55 they went to a owners manual cover basically the same as the one with the crest, but it said PORSCHE in the upper middle of the cover. I had one which had the contents for 356A Speedster serial number 83095 which is actually built I think about March 57 per the battery card in the folder.

I had seen another one on Ebay a few years back with contents for 1956 Coupe serial number 56721 which would have been built about late June 1956.

My guess ??? they started with these early ones with PORSCHE only for the new owners manual and contents when the A's came out and then some time later in 56 or early 57 they went to the crested one. My Guess ???

My old Blue 57 coupe serial number 58589 had it's original cover and contents which had the crest.( This car was built January 1957 )

I just tried adding the pictures, but it said file size too large. I will get HELP and add the pictures of the one saying Porsche.

Just my two cents on the matter.