Speedster seat replacement

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Leo Dreisilker
356 Fan

Speedster seat replacement

#1 Post by Leo Dreisilker »

I have a 1957 Speedster under restoration and the original steel seats are dented, cracked, very pitted in some areas from rust and would require a lot of work to restore. What are the pros and cons of replacement fiberglass vs steel replacements. Concerns I have for fiberglass replacements are safety, stiffness, do they crackle when flexed and do they hurt the authenticity and value of the car? Are steel seats as strong as fiberglass? Who are the best vendors for either type. Is there anything else I should be concerned about? I am not worried about upholstery at this time. I appreciate any recommendations.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Speedster seat replacement

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I believe there is someone making them out of aluminum. I'm sure someone will chime in and give you the contact info.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Karaba »

I used Trevors hammerworks seats made in steel and they are very nice. Had them powdercoated in black before sending them to Autos International.

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dick Roth »

I believe that Zim's has the Danish manufactured Speedster seat in steel or aluminum. It's a fine product. I would keep away from fiberglas as it is not up to the standard of your car.

Leo Dreisilker
356 Fan

#5 Post by Leo Dreisilker »

Thanks for your input Gents!