1960 chrome KPZ wheels

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Robert Joyce
356 Fan

1960 chrome KPZ wheels

#1 Post by Robert Joyce »

What color/ has someone found a color, for painting the lug nut area and back side of the KPZ wheel. ..It might be the same as the Roadster convertible top frame?????? some kind of tan????
thanks for the help .....bob

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: 1960 chrome KPZ wheels

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Robert: I've used a gray paint. I'll have to check my stash in the garage to get the brand and color.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Robert Joyce
356 Fan

#3 Post by Robert Joyce »

Hi Mike .... Thanks for your reply. All of my chrome 8/60 KPZ wheels were painted a tan color. Not grey. The tan was original color, clearly. The inner tube area was a brownish/tan. the hubcap area was a faded almost golden tan color. So... the hunt continues... bob

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

There might be a thread about this, Bob. My Lemmerz were gray. Interesting that the KPZ's were tan "Porsche...consistently inconsistent..."

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Robert Joyce
356 Fan

#5 Post by Robert Joyce »

Thanks Mike for the suggestion.... searched link for KPZ and it suggest light beige/tan. but no mention of a specific color/formula ... maybe I will have to just pick a good looking color... bob

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#6 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

robert joyce wrote:What color/ has someone found a color, for painting the lug nut area and back side of the KPZ wheel. ..It might be the same as the Roadster convertible top frame?????? some kind of tan???? thanks for the help .....bob
Bob-
Possibly the pictured KPZ original chrome rim of my disc brake C cab, with unpainted center and painted backside, may be relevant to your B car's KPZ drum brake chrome rim's originality. (Lemmerz chrome rims had dark grey painted centers and backsides.)
- Wil
Attachments
Rim Backside.jpg
Rim Center.jpg

Robert Joyce
356 Fan

#7 Post by Robert Joyce »

Thanks Wil .... Yes this picture does help reinforce the idea that the rim color was similar to the Roadster top frame color. With the tire removed the tube area was a little darker, but it was difficult to tell if it was from staining. The 5 KPZ 8/60 chrome wheels that I have were all painted this color in the lug nut area and all of the rest of the wheel except the face of the chrome wheel. In 1999 I mixed my own color for my top frame. I had a clean paint chip off of the frame to match. I do not have that kind of a benchmark for the wheel..... Hopefully someone will chime in with a color reference. Otherwise I will wing it... bob