Help with Durant mirror position

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Peter Chifo Jr
356 Fan

Help with Durant mirror position

#1 Post by Peter Chifo Jr »

Also posted on Main Discussion Board

I am down the very minor details of completing my 65 356SC restoration. Just a few more things and I am finished!

One issue I have is when the car was undergoing some metal repair and paint, the holes were filled for the mirror. Unfortunately it was one of the few things I failed to document.

Can anyone help me out with the dimensions of where the Durant mirror mounts on the drivers side door? It would be helpful to have the vertical distance from the chrome trim on top of the door to the mirror base and also the horizontal distance from the leading edge of the door to the front of the mirror base.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Peter Silten
356 Fan

Re: Help with Durant mirror position

#2 Post by Peter Silten »

Peter --

I took some photos and measurements to help you locate your mirror. Keep in mind that most mirrors, mine included, were installed by the Porsche dealer. So not all mirror locations are the same. Measurement "A" is from the center line of the antenna to the center line of the mirror. That measurement is 2 6/8". Measurement "B" is from the center line of the mirror at the end of the gasket to the door gap. That measurement is 3 1/8". Measurement "C" is from the edge of the door trim piece to the door gap. That measurement is 1 5/8. I hope this helps.
Attachments
Mirror 4.JPG
Mirror 3.JPG
Mirror 2.JPG
Mirror 1.jpg

Peter Chifo Jr
356 Fan

#3 Post by Peter Chifo Jr »

Peter Silten wrote:Peter --

I took some photos and measurements to help you locate your mirror. Keep in mind that most mirrors, mine included, were installed by the Porsche dealer. So not all mirror locations are the same. Measurement "A" is from the center line of the antenna to the center line of the mirror. That measurement is 2 6/8". Measurement "B" is from the center line of the mirror at the end of the gasket to the door gap. That measurement is 3 1/8". Measurement "C" is from the edge of the door trim piece to the door gap. That measurement is 1 5/8. I hope this helps.
Peter,

Thank you for the detailed response. I have heard that like with many things on these hand built cars there are few "standards". Seeing that we have very similar setups I will reference your measurements.

Again thanks for taking the time for the photos and dimensions. I have found the members here to be beyond helpful and hope someday to be able to contribute as well.

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#4 Post by Peter Silten »

Happy to help. Good luck.

Jim Hohensee
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Hohensee »

Peter,

I just measured the mirror distances on a 65 SC coupe that I owned for 25 years and they a within an "1/8 of Peter's measurements. I stripped the car to bare metal for a repaint several years ago and there was no sign of any redrilling or welding. I would suggest doing a trial fit though sitting in the car. There is not much adjustment on these mirrors and you might not be able to see properly with the mirror in this location. Only a slight change in location can make a big difference and still be acceptable.

Good Luck,
Jim

Peter Chifo Jr
356 Fan

#6 Post by Peter Chifo Jr »

With all your help the job is done and I'm on to the remaining items on my list. I will post a few photos as soon as I figure out how to upload them. Thanks again.