Ruby red/Blue interior

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
John Orchard
356 Fan

Ruby red/Blue interior

#1 Post by John Orchard »

I recently received the Kardex for my Jan 63 build 356B T6.
It shows the car as originally being delivered as Ruby Red with a blue interior (6202 F). I am currently undertaking a full restoration, with a view to taking the car back to original; However, the colour combination I can't get my head around, so I am hoping someone could post photos of that combination.........or do I just go standard black or beige as the interior colour?
The car is currently painted in a candy apple red with black interior.

Peter Silten
356 Fan

Re: Ruby red/Blue interior

#2 Post by Peter Silten »

The Kardex for my ivory 63 B, which I have owned since 73 (I am the second owner), lists the interior color as blue. The interior of my car is black, and has always been black. So it is entirely possible that the interior of your car was something other than blue. As many people will tell you, the Kardex is not always 100% accurate.

John Orchard
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Orchard »

Thanks for the reply Peter. Good information. That will make me feel better about sticking with black.

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#4 Post by Peter Silten »

I also own a Convertible D, which is ruby red with a black interior. The color combination is quite lovely.

jim saunders
356 Fan

#5 Post by jim saunders »

Hi John, These posts regarding colour come up now and again, and of course we all have our different opinions. My car is a 1965 sunroof SC and it was originally beautiful Slate Grey. But with a special order Blue interior. What a combination, never seen it before, and for me, cannot imagine anything better.
Long ago I owned a little 1963/4 Fiat Abarth, and it was the Italian Red colour, with original Blue interior. It looked just fabulous. Sorry I don't have a photo to win you over. About the same time I had this car, I went to look at a Ferrari Daytona with a friend of mine. It was Rosso Corsa of course, and if I remember right, with a Blue interior. Stunning. I'm not remotely in the Daytona league, I could barely afford the bus fare home, but I remember the car and colour combination was just exquisite. If your car was mine I'd be pretty chuffed that the original owner went through the Factory colour options available at the time, and made a great choice. I just love it.
Got the asbestos suit on. Cheers, jim

Ashley James
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ashley James »

Red for 1964 as purchased from Lakewell.com in Belgium who come highly recommended

John Orchard
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Orchard »

Jim,
Thanks for your reply. You have me thinking...... I have been researching, For the 63 B I understand that it was grey or black interior as standard. So If the car was originally a blue interior it would have been a special order. I guess that makes it a little more individual and interesting.
Your car colour combo of slate/blue sounds amazing. Are you able to post a photo? It would stand to reason that your blue interior may have been the same blue originally in my car......... that's if the Kardex did ring true. I see you are in Sydney...... I am just out of Melbourne (Geelong).
Love your Ferrari story too. Thanks.

Ashley,
I was looking at Lakewell interiors today. Your red interior looks stunning. Is that the leather or vinyl option? and is that the squareweave carpet by them also?

Cheers,
John

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

Maybe somebody can post a picture of the blue color, I am pretty sure it is not a loud blue, but something that would look better than you are thinking. You might like it more than you expect.
Last edited by Martin Benade on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

My 65 Outlaw is red with blue interior. Only because owner didn't like Dolphin Grey/ blue that was original. So he repainted it red but left the interior alone.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

jim saunders
356 Fan

#10 Post by jim saunders »

Hi John, Martin is absolutely correct. The Blue colour is not bright, or vivid, just the opposite. I think if you put it under a spectrometer you'd find it's got a bit of grey mixed in there . A fabulous interior colour in it's own right.
From the amazingly comprehensive website compiled by the late Charles White, thanks Charlie, here's a photo of the Factory carpet colours. Charlie went to a lot of trouble to get the colours as true as he could, and even on my old Mac screen, they look pretty spot on. If you scroll down on this link you'll see the carpet photo.

http://derwhites356literature.com/Porsche356Colors.html

For photos of the complete interior there are some good representative examples here. This is a Dolphin Grey 1964 Coupe that was sold by California Porsche Restorations. What a great looking car. Dolphin Grey was the only colour that was available with the Blue interior in 1964/65 I think. Unless it was special ordered by the prospective new owner to complement a different exterior colour. As your car, and mine was, thankfully. A couple of these interior shots are a bit bright, but you get the idea.

http://cprclassic.com/images/carsprevio ... mages.html

If you intend to go with the beautiful and probably unique Blue interior, it might be worthwhile doing a search on the Registry for a recent post regarding Roser Leather. I think the post may have been initiated by Joris. If not, Joris was a contributor. While original Roser leather is no longer produced, the post made the point that the original finish had a good sheen to it. Whereas some of the leathers available today are very soft with a matt finish. That's not how it was if you're after originality.
Living in Melbourne you will be able to find a 356 owner with an original Vinyl interior I'm sure, so you can see for yourself the correct style of Vinyl.
What a standout, and beautiful looking car you'll have. Very Lucky you. Cheers, jim

John Orchard
356 Fan

#11 Post by John Orchard »

Thank you all for your input. With the further discussion regarding the red/blue combination, I have gone back and taken a better look at all the interior that I have removed from the car. On close inspection of the rear seat pads, I concluded that they were very original and had not been reupholstered, as the horsehair,long hand stitching under the pads, and glue were all as it would have been when made. on looking at the underside where it wrapped behind , the vinyl in fact shows that it is the original blue vinyl , but had been painted black along with other sections that had been retrimmed in black vinyl.
This revelation has me now very happy to go with the blue, especially knowing that the Kardex is accurate, and even having the original sample blue to try and match up with.
If I can work out how to post a photo, I will.

John Orchard
356 Fan

#12 Post by John Orchard »

photo of the under seat pad showing the original blue trim colour.
Attachments
IMG_4790.JPG
IMG_4790.JPG (41.55 KiB) Viewed 6704 times

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#13 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Original blue. I am out of town so unable to add better photos.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

John Orchard
356 Fan

#14 Post by John Orchard »

Thought I would post a photo or 2 of the car.
Attachments
IMG_4100.jpg
IMG_4100.jpg (37.65 KiB) Viewed 6700 times

John Orchard
356 Fan

#15 Post by John Orchard »

photo 2.
Attachments
IMG_4304.JPG
IMG_4304.JPG (48.45 KiB) Viewed 6699 times