Any history on my 356SC

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Jody Shaw
356 Fan

Any history on my 356SC

#1 Post by Jody Shaw »

Hi Everyone

I've recently purchased a '64 SC coupe (215164) and am trying to track down some history on it.
I bought it as a project and don't even know the original colour. I understand to get a COA I need the VIN, engine, trans numbers etc, but it's running a 912 engine and I don't believe the trans is original. Is there another way to verify it's original colour etc?

So what I know...

It's a 64 Karmann (63 production)
It was originally in the Florida region, before moving up to Portland (from where I bought and imported it to the UK)
It has been raced in the SCCA (I have a few badges, it still has the roll cage and wearing original mahle gasburners)
It was once displayed in art gallery after being painted by Scramble Campbell, as per the pic, before being covered in a white primer (how it is today)
Has anyone seen it before or know anything about it?

thanks in advance for the help!
Attachments
IMG_9472.JPG

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Any history on my 356SC

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

You only need chassis number for COA or Kardex
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Fred Otjen
356 Fan

#3 Post by Fred Otjen »

I think I saw this car, it was in the nearby town of Gresham. The car I saw. Had a lot of issues, floors seemed to have been installed upside down, eng was put together with various parts, many parts in boxes, no way to tell it was an SC without CoA. Glad you now have it and can redo things.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#4 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Welcome to the Registry, Jody!

As Doug posted, you only need the VIN (215164) to get a COA from Porsche.

If your car still has its original riveted-on aluminum tags inside the door, the paint code is the number on the lower tag as shown in this photo, paint code 6404 for light ivory in this case.

Of course the existence of this plate doesn't guarantee it hasn't been changed, but the COA should confirm it.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted!
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Jody Shaw
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jody Shaw »

Hi everyone

Thanks for the quick replies. It's going to be a steep learning curve!

I recently contacted Porsche to request the COA and they sent me the application form which states that the engine and trans numbers are required for pre 79 vehicles. If this is not an absolute requirement then I will give it a go! I have the same for my ghia and that piece of paper is a huge help.

Would be great to learn a bit more about it's racing history too, although I don't see the resto going that way.

cheers!

Jody
Attachments
IMG_0074.PNG

Jody Shaw
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jody Shaw »

Emil Wojcik wrote:Welcome to the Registry, Jody!

As Doug posted, you only need the VIN (215164) to get a COA from Porsche.

If your car still has its original riveted-on aluminum tags inside the door, the paint code is the number on the lower tag as shown in this photo, paint code 6404 for light ivory in this case.

Of course the existence of this plate doesn't guarantee it hasn't been changed, but the COA should confirm it.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted!

I had a look Emil, I can only get access to the drivers side and there are no plates there. :( I'm guessing they're on the drivers side aren't they, rather than passenger (which I can't access currently as it's against a wall)?

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Yes drivers side. But when you can get to passengers side and remove the plate you will find your chassis number there "hidden"
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Brad Ripley »

Jody, The requirement of engine number (or, could be engine and trans number -- see below -- is ridiculous. Both of those components could have been changed over the years. But, you have the body of the car with the chassis number clearly stamped in at least two places. You don't know for sure if your engine and/or transmission is the original.

You should receive a certificate which indicates the original engine and transmission numbers -- don't accept anything else for $108.95 of your money.
Attachments
CoA form.jpg