Carpet installation

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Helge Tielker
356 Fan
Instagram: www.instagram.com/helge356/

Carpet installation

#1 Post by Helge Tielker »

Hey guys, once more greetings from Holland.

I have heard that there must be a good article about installing the carpet in our tubs. I have looked with the search function, but all links are dead. Does anyone has good tips, advices, necessary tools or pictures of good tools? Maybe a how-to-install my carpet or what ever you have, so that I can start preparing myself for the installation of my new carpet......

thanks in advance.
Helge
356 B Coupe 12/59 ruby red/ black
"REDMAXX"
356 C Coupe 64 BaliBlue
(under restoration)

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Carpet installation

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

At top of page click on Magazine. You will then see where it say volumes 1 to 40. Change 1 to 19 Click on Volume 19 #1 had a nice article from the old days by Ron Roland. Page 32 or 33
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Check with Tony Hazell, owner of Heritage Upholstery in Palm Springs, CA. Visited his shop this past November and was impressed with the operation. He can provide all the carpet pieces you want in a kit. He mentioned that at some point, he would do a "how to" video on installation and not sure if this has been done yet.

He did say that the best results will be to have a professional trim person do the actual installation.

760-424-9286

Helge Tielker
356 Fan
Instagram: www.instagram.com/helge356/

#4 Post by Helge Tielker »

quote: "He did say that the best results will be to have a professional trim person do the actual installation. < end quote

That's for sure but actual here in Holland not affordable ;) - beside that I love to try new things ......

Cheers
Helge
356 B Coupe 12/59 ruby red/ black
"REDMAXX"
356 C Coupe 64 BaliBlue
(under restoration)

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Certainly possible to do yourself. Patience,glue dead blow hammer, trickiest part is from sidewall to back bulkhead curve behind front seats. Steaming helps here. Most nerve wracking was making the cut at entry point of door that is covered by metal piece that "Captures the carpet". I had never done a carpet before and mine turned out pretty good. Make sure you "pad" the top of the rear seat forward edge. If not you may have such a sharp bend that carpet base may show. I think I read that tip in Kellogg's book. This link has some pictures of mine: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42784&p=277091&hil ... er#p277091
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.