"Correct" T5 Luggage rack and " original?" skiholder

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Helge Tielker
356 Fan
Instagram: www.instagram.com/helge356/

"Correct" T5 Luggage rack and " original?" skiholder

#1 Post by Helge Tielker »

Guys, we are discussing wether the Leitz or the Reutter is the right rack for a 1959 B Coupe from 4.12.1959. >> I know .. it is a matter of taste <<<<
We now have installed the Leitz rack together with a ski holder (and a nice original Fisher ski in dark red) like on the 2nd foto .... we are curious to hear if it is an after market product and who produced it .. I haven't seen a picture on Charlie' s site. Please apologise the 1st pic if open it is as it should be regarding the direction ....

cheers from Holland
PS: We would love to have once a meeting with Porsche 356 and ski's in Zell am See (Austria) at the hotel at the mountain top, I have seen so many pics of it from back in the 50 and 60ies.....
Attachments
IMG_6543.JPG
Snow Porsche 1-1-2008 12-00-01 PM.JPG
356 B Coupe 12/59 ruby red/ black
"REDMAXX"
356 C Coupe 64 BaliBlue
(under restoration)

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

Re: "Correct" T5 Luggage rack and " original?" skiholder

#2 Post by Jon Bunin »

Helge,

The rack on the blue car in your lower photo is a Reutter, not a Lietz.
If you bought a rack for your B Coupe before mid-1961, it would only fit a single-grill engine lid, and not have extra holes for mounting to a twin-grill engine lid.
But unless you are worried about losing points in a car show, the distinction is not that important. It is a removable accessory, and a slightly later rack is still very appropriate for your car.

btw, "Leitz" was the company that produced Leica cameras :-)
Jon Bunin

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bob Forman »

Helge, The Aetna Blue coupe was my 1960 Normal. That's my good friend and fellow Army lieutenant Carl Fellhauer loading his skis after a day at Vail in early 1968. Here's another photo of the same car showing the rack from a better position. The ski rack, holding the pair on the driver's side, was very much like the one in your other photo.

BTW, I've been trying for 30 years to locate the coupe. I sold it in 1971 in Walnut Creek, CA. Unfortunately, I don't have the VIN, only the license # FYL 868.
Attachments
Ski 3 1-1-2008 12-00-01 PM.JPG
Bob Forman

Max Handley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Max Handley »

Another view, Reutter Luggage Rack. 1959 Reutter Cabriolet.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

Jesse Rodriguez
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jesse Rodriguez »

Bob,
The license plate frame on your ex Aetna Blue coupe is from Kendon, one of about 6 VW-Porsche dealers, from the late '50s thru the '70s, most of them locate on Pacific Coast Hwy (Sepulveda Blvd. in Manhattan Beach) from the City of Long Beach to LAX, a distance of about 15 miles, in the South Bay, Southern California.
Vasek Polak was initially located at 356 Sepulveda Blvd. in Manhattan Beach then moved to Hermosa Beach.
Kendon was located on Pacific Coast Hwy between Normandie Blvd. and Western Ave. in Harbor City.

jesse rodriguez # 9120