Period Correct vs. numbers matching

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

Re: Period Correct vs. numbers matching

#16 Post by Mark Roth »

I don't know why I got off on an S90 tangent. If the car was originally an SC, then the 912 engine is close enough. A S90 without an S90 engine is not an S90.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#17 Post by Dick Weiss »

Going further,

There's a difference in the face of the 912 casting vs the S90's--the 2-on each upper corner stud bosses are taller for the 912's
crossbar mounts (w/longer studs) and just the upper left boss stays intact and the other 3-should be cut down (I've done several) and change to the shorter studs.
Of coarse, there will be the 2-face ribs remaining between the upper left-over bosses to the pulley's seal-nose and can be seen above the sheet metal; Otherwise, exchange the 3rd piece having an S90 #. Then there's the case #s on the 2nd upper bolt boss @ the split line--easy to change.

Dick

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#18 Post by Martin Benade »

His car is really an SC, so no S90 parts around. Are you suggesting he grind off the case numbers? As per recent discussions here, it seems like there is no respectable reason to do that.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#19 Post by Greg Bryan »

I think Dick was referring to machining down the four bosses on the 912 case third piece to approximate more closely the 356 third piece dimensions. The 912 had the bosses extended to accommodate the rear engine mount, as you probably already know. I posted some pictures within the last couple of years of a 912 engine 3rd piece machined similar to a 356 cover.
However, with the rising price of 912s, I wouldn't be so quick to machine a 912 motor so it makes it difficult to put it in a 912 again. The stock set-up for the 912 will work with the 356, there is some interference with the top corner nuts and the tin that goes behind the pulley, but nothing that can't be overcome.
Greg Bryan

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#20 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Greg Bryan wrote:I think Dick was referring to machining down the four bosses on the 912 case third piece to approximate more closely the 356 third piece dimensions. The 912 had the bosses extended to accommodate the rear engine mount, as you probably already know. I posted some pictures within the last couple of years of a 912 engine 3rd piece machined similar to a 356 cover.
However, with the rising price of 912s, I wouldn't be so quick to machine a 912 motor so it makes it difficult to put it in a 912 again. The stock set-up for the 912 will work with the 356, there is some interference with the top corner nuts and the tin that goes behind the pulley, but nothing that can't be overcome.

"Then there's the case #s on the 2nd upper bolt boss @ the split line--easy to change."

No, Greg; he did say to change numbers. Not acceptable.

Gary Thies
356 Fan

Period correct engine

#21 Post by Gary Thies »

A question for the group;

Yes or no; lacking the original engine, does having a "period correct" engine add to a cars value or desirability?

G Thies

Greg Haskin
356 Fan
Tag: gh356

Re: Period correct engine

#22 Post by Greg Haskin »

Gary, seems like there would need to be a few more parameters to be able to answer your question. If the car was otherwise very original, a period correct engine would probably be more desirable than not. This would be especially true for very early cars. In many cases, particularly with B's and C's, if it not the original, some folks prefer a 912 engine. Others might be more concerned about the build and condition of the engine, rather than the year. Generally, period correct is a pretty good bet if the original in gone, but the value aspect would be quite subjective.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#23 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Gary There was a time when "period correct" was touted as 2nd best to numbers matching. I have never undestood the rational. I prefer 912 C/SC for later case improvements, 12 bolt ring and pinion and large oil pump. Next for me would be a large oil pump engine with the late B engines with the extra 0 in front of the engine number, then the other large oil pump engines. And bottom of my list would be a small oil pump engine. This assumes similar build quality of the engine of each type.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#24 Post by Adam Wright »

In my experience a period correct motor on a well done car carries more weight than a later motor. A lot of the guys who are buying these cars now don't know small oil pump vs large oil pump, or any of the other later improvements. And the way most people drive these cars now it doesn't really matter. Most 356's are now at best weekend touring cars and at worst rolled off of trailer onto a nice lawn. Oil pumps doesn't affect either scenario.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#25 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Gary,
The answer is probably but that answer is also useless unless you are offered a choice of engine and probably not then. When buying a used car the buyers estimate of condition trumps everything else. Furthermore, buyers are different. Some are mechanically skilled and so may value body and interior condition more highly. Others may not fear paint or body work but know little of engine or transmission work. Some may want period correctness while others may want a hot rod.
Each sale is unique deal guided only by very general guidelines.

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#26 Post by Bill Lawless »

If you were getting a performance benefit to make it a better driver, I would go for it. But you are not, leave it and enjoy!!!
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#27 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Adam Wright wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:41 am In my experience a period correct motor on a well done car carries more weight than a later motor. A lot of the guys who are buying these cars now don't know small oil pump vs large oil pump, or any of the other later improvements. And the way most people drive these cars now it doesn't really matter. Most 356's are now at best weekend touring cars and at worst rolled off of trailer onto a nice lawn. Oil pumps doesn't affect either scenario.
+ 1
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#28 Post by Martin Benade »

In other words it depends on who is buying and what they care about.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#29 Post by Dick Roth »

Reviewing the posts, including one I did in 2016, and the very extensive and diverse comments, i have only one thing further to say; More beer!
The discussion reminds me of the parable of 4 men touching an elephant in a dark room and each being asked to describe what the elephant is like...
Someone did say very early on the essence of this discussion: What is your objective??

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#30 Post by Dick Roth »

IMG_1005_01.jpeg
IMG_1005_01.jpeg (448.53 KiB) Viewed 774 times
Sold this '58 after 44 years of ownership with decades-old engine swap from my upgraded '64 SC. It cost me...
33K original miles, 2nd owner.