"Porsche" script wrench question

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Jack Arct
356 Fan

"Porsche" script wrench question

#1 Post by Jack Arct »

Greeting folks,

My father and I are trying figure out if these 4 "Porsche" script wrenches are original factory wrenches that came in 356 tool kits or not.
I have looked over at 356tools.com and found some info on them, but really nothing to tell if their reproductions or original. I did see a post on these forums about someone making reproduction "Porsche" script wrenches and selling them on ebay but this post was back in 2008. My father says he got them a year or two after buying his '62 Carrera 2 in the mid 80's to match his tool kit. He has since sold the car a few years ago (sigh..) but during the process of my folks moving he came across these wrenches. We're hoping someone could help us figure out this mystery.
Thank you in advance.

Jack and Wayne Arct
Attachments
P1070454a.jpg
'59 356A Coupe

Steering wheel restoration, also T2/T5/T6 sun visors

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

Re: "Porsche" script wrench question

#2 Post by Tom Tate »

Wayne,
I was told that those were issued in '62 only, the only year that the name Porsche was cast in the wrench but I'm sure that others will chime in here. Tell Jack I said hello!!
Tom

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alan Hall »

Yes, I believe these were a one year only wrench, but repro versions were made a while back and sold, as I recall, by Robert Brocker from Amsterdam. Have not seen either originals or repros up close and personal, so can't help with saying how you tell the difference.

John Wurner
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Wurner »

Here is a set of originals from my 62.
I dont know what the difference might be looking at repros.
Attachments
DSCN2337.JPG

Peter Bartelli
356 Fan
Tag: Captain

#5 Post by Peter Bartelli »

Those wrenches look like the real thing to me. The Brocker repros were cast in bronze or brass then plated. They are slightly smaller and thinner, feeling very smooth to the touch. They are "ceremonial", that is, they fill the need in a toolkit but will break or deform if used. I actually bent one in half (partially) before it snapped apart. Oh...I believe the next time Porsche put their name on a wrench was for the 997 around 2007. Nice find.

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dick Roth »

Yo Pete! Hope all is well with you. Still remember sitting in your Champagne Yellow C2 with that perfect green leather interior. For an old friend of the house of Porsche, those are the cars that really did something for me. Yeah OK, my C4S does do the job. Best Richard...

Jack Arct
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jack Arct »

Tom Tate wrote:Wayne,
I was told that those were issued in '62 only, the only year that the name Porsche was cast in the wrench but I'm sure that others will chime in here. Tell Jack I said hello!!
Tom
Alan Hall wrote:Yes, I believe these were a one year only wrench, but repro versions were made a while back and sold, as I recall, by Robert Brocker from Amsterdam. Have not seen either originals or repros up close and personal, so can't help with saying how you tell the difference.
Tom, Alan,
My dad says hi Tom! I notice in his workshop there's a wheel with your name on it :)
Yes, we came to that conclusion too after looking at the 356tool.com picture, but we weren't sure if the wrenches in the picture were original or a set of Mr. Brocker. My dad's wrenches seem to have a different finish to them than the ones pictured. I guess we were hoping someone had a picture of what Mr Brocker wrenches looked like or maybe some telltale sign to be able to distinguish the two types?
'59 356A Coupe

Jack Arct
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jack Arct »

John Wurner wrote:Here is a set of originals from my 62.
I dont know what the difference might be looking at repros.
John,
Thank you for the picture. Comparing the two pictures my dad's wrenches seem to have a different finish to them than yours, tho maybe it's the lighting ? Is possible to get a clearer picture so as to be able to zoom in more ?

*Edited to correct spelling and my bad grammer... lol*
Last edited by Jack Arct on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'59 356A Coupe

Jack Arct
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jack Arct »

Peter Bartelli wrote:Those wrenches look like the real thing to me. The Brocker repros were cast in bronze or brass then plated. They are slightly smaller and thinner, feeling very smooth to the touch. They are "ceremonial", that is, they fill the need in a toolkit but will break or deform if used. I actually bent one in half (partially) before it snapped apart. Oh...I believe the next time Porsche put their name on a wrench was for the 997 around 2007. Nice find.
Peter,
Thank you for the info. My dad's do feel smooth to the touch.... You wouldn't to have a good picture of Mr. Brocker wrenches by chance ?
'59 356A Coupe

Peter Bartelli
356 Fan
Tag: Captain

#10 Post by Peter Bartelli »

Hi Jack,
I may have one in my junk pile somewhere. Brockers were plated in nickle and are noticeably thinner. I'll check tomorrow and post a picture. I've been meaning to contact you anyway about doing the visors in my '63. You recently did Gerry Curts' visors, a nearby friend of mine.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#11 Post by Emil Wojcik »

If the repros are plated brass they will be a different weight compared to the originals. If someone with originals can weigh one and post the weight you can compare that to yours.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jon Bunin »

Emil Wojcik wrote:If the repros are plated brass they will be a different weight compared to the originals...
And they will probably not be magnetic, as a steel wrench would be.
Jon Bunin

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#13 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Jon Bunin wrote:
Emil Wojcik wrote:If the repros are plated brass they will be a different weight compared to the originals...
And they will probably not be magnetic, as a steel wrench would be.
:)

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#14 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Doh! Not magnetic...so obvious and it didn't even cross my mind.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#15 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Robert's reproduction wrenches are "magnetic". They are not made of brass, but are steel.
Notice the subtle differences. Yes, the repro is obviously in better shape but the other differences are pretty minor. As Pete said, the repro wrench is 6mm thick at the big end and the real one is 7mm. That should be the most obvious determining factor.

Regards

Jim
Attachments
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410