Calling Eagle-Eyed Engine Experts

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

Re: Calling Eagle-Eyed Engine Experts

#31 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

All:

When did they stop engraving the "V" in the banjo bolt for the carburetor? His engine mounts the early fuel pump. Fuel line bolt at the fuel pump has different thread. Could easily get them mixed up.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#32 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

See 2nd posting by Edwin:

I am not certain, it may be the angle, but the accelerator pump rod is slightly bent on the left carburetor. If Bruce did the carburetors I am certain it did not leave his shop like that.

The oil temperature sensor is not period correct. It should have a screw fitting, a knurled hut with plastic cap a bullet connector adapter and markings of 6V and a date stamp near the engine manufacture date--regardless of its number. Some say made in Germany, or just Germany, as well.

Most of the fasteners that I have seen on the generator D- connection have hex head, a washer that fits the counterbore nicely and a wavy washer. The one shown does not appear to be fully seated as there is still an offset present in the lockwasher. Is the fastener too long? If someone has other that that noted and found in the literature, please post.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#33 Post by Bruce Smith »

The spring washer behind the pulley bolt should be Parkerized not cad/zinc plated. Springs and spring washers shouldn't be (and weren't') electroplated to avoid hydrogen embrittlement. This might be worth replacing.
Bruce Smith

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#34 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

DaveErickson wrote:Edwin,

The right carburetor top screw that also holds the spring bracket in place should have a lock washer just like the other top screws. Correct. This is the location of the fatal flaw in the Zenith design as they did not account or 50 years of tightening by "heavy hands" in metallurgical mismatch of interfacing clamping components. Lots of ways to fix this problem but only two "good" ways although one of the good ways has been stretched , npi, a bit.

The carburetor linkage rods don't look like a matched set, the one on the right has a lot more threads showing so it must be shorter. All components of the carburetor down rods are identical to each side. Due to the geometry and to assure that you get full throttle, the lengths of these rods must be different. The 50 mm dimension is critical in making the Factory components work as sometimes you must add threads and shorten one rod.

Its missing the dip stick and the middle cover plate (which is always missing). If the dipstick were shown and if it was bent, it would indicate that the engine had been removed without first removing it. On the matter of the middle motor plate, I have made a study/survey of the presence of this plate on 356 and 912 cars with the US style heater when I first introduced a re-manufactured version of this plate in 1992. Since then, the data that I have personally taken at car shows, ECHs and other automotive events that the models mentioned were represented, the data indicates that 63 % of all cars sampled do not have this plate.

Dave
/

Comments in italics
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#35 Post by Vic Skirmants »

The oil dipstick gets bent when installing the engine, not removing.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#36 Post by Bruce Smith »

Albert Tiedemann wrote: Correct. This is the location of the fatal flaw in the Zenith design as they did not account or 50 years of tightening by "heavy hands" in metallurgical mismatch of interfacing clamping components. Lots of ways to fix this problem but only two "good" ways although one of the good ways has been stretched , npi, a bit.
Ab - Spot on, this was a repaired thread. Not sure if I used one of your "good" ways but this is a Muggy Weld repair (low temp alloy weld) and then drilled-tapped to M5/0.9. I normally thin back the spring bracket a bit before plating to gain another thread but don't believe I did on Ed's because I knew he wanted originality. Eliminating the split washer can grab another thread or two. Using a wavy washer instead is another option.

- Bruce
Bruce Smith

Rainer Cooney
356 Fan

#37 Post by Rainer Cooney »

Ground screw on generator should be a slotted hex head 9mm ATF. Nuts on generator terminals should also be 9mm ATF

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#38 Post by Dave Erickson »

The case nuts and washers should not be plated. The nuts almost look like nyloc nuts, but the angle is not the best. The washers should be the small dia. case washers with the bevel on the inside for the o-rings.

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#39 Post by Norm Miller »

Ed,
I would drill a small hole in the carb operating arms closer to the ball socket for the lower end of the return spring.
That said if they return OK and don't bind at full throttle Id guess you are OK.
Nice job,
Norm

David Nicholls
356 Fan
Tag: 56 Coupe #56209

#40 Post by David Nicholls »

Hi Edwin

Really nice job.
Is the tinware Powder Coated ?
I don't know why folks fuss over minor details, especially the plating ones, but are happy to accept Powder Coating which was never used during 356 production.

Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
David

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#41 Post by Joris Koning »

Oil lines have the wrong tracer and the inlets have that weird plastic? coating you see on the current lines. Ferrules probably have the incorrect crimp marks and manufacturer logo if you want to nit pick. Also no decal on the coil.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#42 Post by WilliamVaughan »

Who did the restoration on your muffler? That muffler looks just like a new Listriz (sp).

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#43 Post by Edwin Ek »

Robert Vaughan wrote:Who did the restoration on your muffler? That muffler looks just like a new Listriz (sp).
My mechanic did. It is an original Leistritz.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#44 Post by Edwin Ek »

To all,

Many thanks for the comments! God is in the details, and the devil too. I am trying to arrange a visit to see a very low mileage, completely original '62 car. We'll see if I am succesful.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#45 Post by Wes Bender »

I nominate Ed for the "Not Afraid to Stick My Head in the Lion's Mouth Award".

For the record, I'm not showing you guys any stinking photos of MY engine.......

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....