Mix and Matching Wheels?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Cory Evens
356 Fan

Mix and Matching Wheels?

#1 Post by Cory Evens »

Hi all! After a year of owning and enjoying my 65 C as is, with all it's cracked paint and battle scars. Looks great from ten feet... I've started a bare metal restoration (which I may start a separate thread to document). In doing so I took an assessment and found the wheels which I thought were original, were dated from 5/64 (1) 1/65 (1) to late 66 (2) no spare. The COA says the car came with chrome wheels which they are but the chrome is bad. If I'm going to go through the trouble of chroming I might as well find a closer match to the build date of 2/22/65. Especially since two would not have been on the car from the factory!

I found a set of KPZ wheels that are silver in excellent shape dated 12/64 (3) and one 2/65 which is close enough for me. I've found a couple Lemmerz with a similar close date. I thought that silver would be a good choice to have rechromed but I'm liking the silver so much I may just have them powdercoated silver and find another set to chrome!

My question is as I haven't found any info on it, Are KPZ and Lemmerz different enough that you shouldn't mix the brands for road balance or did cars come with a mix of brands?

Also I have one chrome wheel I bought awhile back dated 1/65 but it's a 3.9 version which I'm assuming is a Carrera 2 wheel or at least made for the then new 911. Would a mixture of 3.9 and 3.7 wheels throw anything out of balance?

Maybe this is minutia but I'm not as familiar as you guys are with these brilliant cars.

Appreciate any info!

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Re: Mix and Matching Wheels?

#2 Post by Edwin Ek »

Ideal is to have rims weigh the same. KPZ and Lemmerz rims have different weights. The factory never mixed rim manufacturers on a car for that reason. A center with different thickness (3.9) isn't desirable either. However, since the weight difference of 3.9 rims is closer to the axis of rotation, the effect is lesser than if the difference were at the rim. Nonetheless it isn't desirable and is easy to remedy.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

As long as the width and offset is the same you will never detect a difference. Knowing the brands, weights, and dates differ may drive a person crazy, however!
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Cory Evens
356 Fan

#4 Post by Cory Evens »

Thanks for the knowledgeable replies! That's what I figured, I'm glad I found a set all KPZ/3.7.

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#5 Post by Norm Miller »

Cory,

That's a good reason to run with hubcaps!
Only you and your hairdresser will know.
The car is impartial.

Norm