rear shock absorber

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
David Stieber
356 Fan

rear shock absorber

#1 Post by David Stieber »

I just received my 1965 SC cab in AK. Unfortunately the transporter broke the rear shocks connection. What were the original shocks used on that car and what other kits bushing ect do I need to install.
Any advice on type to use would be apprectiated.
Thanks,
David S

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: rear shock absorber

#2 Post by Brad Ripley »

What do you mean by the shock connection?

Did only the bottom bolt brake?

Did only the eye brake off the bottom of the shock?

and so forth?

David Stieber
356 Fan

#3 Post by David Stieber »

The transporter pulled the rubber insert off the shock. I'm trying to insert with clamp. Not easy.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brad Ripley »

If you need to replace the rubber bushing, this is the only one I know of http://www.stoddard.com/64434356110.html It's for a Koni shock. Sorry, I don't know the dimensions in case you want to put into another brank of shock.

Hopefully the bolt thru the suspension casting is not bent. That's this one http://www.stoddard.com/90008207702.html

David Stieber
356 Fan

#5 Post by David Stieber »

Thanks I was able to do it after removing steel insert from rubber and using a steel clamp.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

You were lucky. They must have tied down the rear with a strap over the shock. As most of the weight is in the rear of a 356,the car will "hop" if not tied down correctly. On a C/SC the best way is to use the lower shock mount with a strap going outboard then over to the other side( left lower shock mount to right tie down then right shock mount to left tie down hook). I just transported my new to me 65 Outlaw that way with tire hold down straps on the front without a problem from Eastern Pennsylvania to Western Michigan. At least they didn't strap it down over the axel and crush your brake line. Your car would most likely have come with Medium/dark Blue Koni shocks with Porsche stamped on them I think.
Attachments
IMG_1071.JPG
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.