Antennas (antennae?!)

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Antennas (antennae?!)

#1 Post by Mike Wilson »

I know this topic has been discussed before but, I haven't read anything definitive. Considering my mantra, "Porsche....consistently inconsistent", it doesn't surprise me.

The red tip antenna: correct for A models and perhaps early B's? Has anyone seen one on an original on a late B model? From what I've read, the Blue tip was common on the C models but some have indicated they have them on late B models and even an A model.

I know there were other antennas used, lockable and non-locking, Bosch, Hirshman and Wizi, but I'm more interested in the red tip and blue tip.

A while back, Joris posted pics of various antennas. Filling in the blanks on what year they were used would be of great help.

Thanks for any and all input.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter Silten
356 Fan

Re: Antennas (antennae?!)

#2 Post by Peter Silten »

Hi Mike --

My 63 B (Karmann), which I acquired in 73, came with the blue tip.

Peter

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Hi, Peter!

I found your response when I Googled the topic. I'm pretty sure mine, #213532, had either a plain top Bosch lockable or a blue tip or maybe even some other type/style installed post-production as my Kardex does not list a radio as an option.

As much as I like authenticity, the red tip would look nice against the slate gray. I have an original blue tip but it looks like I'm missing one of the chrome bezels.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#4 Post by Peter Silten »

I like the red tip. I have one on my D.