356 SC coil, et al

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Robert Kenton
356 Fan

356 SC coil, et al

#1 Post by Robert Kenton »

With reference to my 6V '64 SC coupe, and a knowledgeable buddy of mine observed the green wire currently in place connecting the coil to the distributor, which he believes to be incorrect. Looking at the Porsche Katalog, and comparing to available products on Stoddard and Sierra Madre Collection sites, both imply that green wire pn 61660905300 is in fact correct for a C car, vs black wire pn 356 09 612, presumably correct for Pre-A, A, and B cars.

Also, the Katalog lists pn 616 602 108 00 as the correct 6V coil, but identifies this as RED, vs the black coil which I now have on the car, identical to the black coils currently sold by Stoddard and SM Collection for this pn. Was a red coil originally on the car?

I am considering replacing (vs replating the "restraining straps" on the generator and oil filter canister, both with the pn 546 09 301. Anyone have first hand experience on the correctness of the finish on the available replacement products (e.g. SM Collection straps show a (maybe/probably correct) silver finish, vs goldish appearance on the Stoddard illustration?

Finally, I assume and hope that the nuts on the inside of the fan shroud that engage the bolts holding the coil strap and oil filter bracket to the shroud are "captive"; is this in fact the case?

Many thanks in advance for any help/comments on the above.

Bob
Robert W. Kenton

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: 356 SC coil, et al

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Not sure about the correct color of the wiring so I won't opine but, the straps for the generator and oil filter canister are both Norma clamps but the one for the oil filter canister is more of a silver cad and the one for the generator is a duller, maybe clear cad.

Coil bracket: left side: weldnut; right side, the bolt goes through the shroud. Oil filter canister bracket: the bolt goes all the way through the shroud and also holds the "L" bracket to support the fuel line. The bolts through the fan shroud have large fender washers, lock washers and nuts holding them together.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Robert Kenton
356 Fan

#3 Post by Robert Kenton »

Mike Wilson wrote:Not sure about the correct color of the wiring so I won't opine but, the straps for the generator and oil filter canister are both Norma clamps but the one for the oil filter canister is more of a silver cad and the one for the generator is a duller, maybe clear cad.

Coil bracket: left side: weldnut; right side, the bolt goes through the shroud. Oil filter canister bracket: the bolt goes all the way through the shroud and also holds the "L" bracket to support the fuel line. The bolts through the fan shroud have large fender washers, lock washers and nuts holding them together.

Thanks Mike. Does your last sentence imply then that the inner nuts are non-captive, i.e. that the bolts in question cannot be removed or reinstalled without access to the back surface of the shroud? A poor, non-Porschelike setup if that is the case….
Robert W. Kenton

David Lawrence
356 Fan

#4 Post by David Lawrence »

On the color of the wires.

My 64C has two green wires going to the oil temperature and the oil pressure.
The distributor wire to the coil is black the other black wire on the same coil connection is for the electric tachometer.

See attached picture, distributor cap was removed for the picture.
Attachments
DSC_0911s.jpg
David Lawrence #1087
'64 C Cabriolet (Signal Red/Black Leather)

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

You are correct, Robert. The nuts that secure the bolts that go through the shroud are accessible from the back of the shroud. They should be 10mm ATF (Across The Flats). The one that holds the oil filter canister is behind the canister and usually spins when you try to remove the nut so you have to remove the strap and canister to secure it. Since you are replacing the strap, that has to come off anyway. Just don't bump your head on the deck lid! Ask me how I know that!
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

Wires: Ignition switch to coil: black with white tracer.
Oil temperature sender: green with black tracer
Oil pressure switch: green
Last edited by Mike Wilson on Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Robert here is a link that answers your questions and some photos I contributed. electric tach and mine shows dual sender for oil pressure gauge upgrade I did. colors of wires discussed. 65C viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40001 Black coil is correct I think. The gold cad colored bracket isn't correct for a C/SC
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#8 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Robert Kenton wrote:With reference to my 6V '64 SC coupe, and a knowledgeable buddy of mine observed the green wire currently in place connecting the coil to the distributor, which he believes to be incorrect.
I am considering replacing (vs replating the "restraining straps" on the generator and oil filter canister, both with the pn 546 09 301. Anyone have first hand experience on the correctness of the finish on the available replacement products
Bob
Bob -
Herewith photos of my original `65C cab's engine, coil, generator, oil filter and clamps, and associated wiring. Note the original coil to distributor "green" wire. Other green wires are directly from the wire loom and connect to the oil temp & pressure transducers.
- Wil
Attachments
676-2.JPG
DSCN1034-01.JPG

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dave Erickson »

Robert Kenton wrote:With reference to my 6V '64 SC coupe, and a knowledgeable buddy of mine observed the green wire currently in place connecting the coil to the distributor, which he believes to be incorrect. Looking at the Porsche Katalog, and comparing to available products on Stoddard and Sierra Madre Collection sites, both imply that green wire pn 61660905300 is in fact correct for a C car, vs black wire pn 356 09 612, presumably correct for Pre-A, A, and B cars.
Bob, there is one detail that needs to be clarified. The green wire is correct for an 022 distributor, but since some early 64 C's and SC's came with BR18's, they would use the earlier black wire.

Dave