Screwdriver color for year 1960 & 1961 conflicts

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Donald Pirch
356 Fan

Screwdriver color for year 1960 & 1961 conflicts

#1 Post by Donald Pirch »

In building my tool kit I'm confused as to what color screwdrivers are to be for my 1960 car. The Cerneff 356 standards on http://356tools.com/ state the three tool kit screwdrivers for 1960 are colored red-brown and show them this color in photos. However, the Perrin Registry magazine article Volume 24, Number 6 (March/April 2001) state that for 356B T5 years 1960 & 1961 the three screwdrivers he found in tool kits he inspected were all red. Registry vendors sell only red reproduction screwdrivers, a color that is valid for only the year 1962 based on Cerneff standards. Are either colors ok or is there only one 356 Registry standard screwdriver authentic color for concours judging, and if so which is it, red-brown or red?
Donald E. Pirch

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

Re: Screwdriver color for year 1960 & 1961 conflicts

#2 Post by Victor Ingram »

I restored a 60/61 toolkit with original drivers. I chose to have them restored in red. I think either is acceptable with the judges. Some prefer not to have them restored at all.
Just to have all 3 the correct drivers is a bonus, restored or not.

Donald Pirch
356 Fan

#3 Post by Donald Pirch »

What color were your screwdrivers before you painted them? Thanks for the reply. I just painted mine red also.
A peculiar thing happened when I tried to post a couple of red-brown screwdrivers on the Classifieds 3 or 4 weeks ago - they were rejected and not listed. I just posted the same ad with red painted screwdrivers and it was accepted and posted today without hesitation. I'm wondering why?
Donald E. Pirch

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#4 Post by Victor Ingram »

They were red, I found these pictures in my folder to post for you, these were passed on to me by a fellow enthusiasts. I think the drivers may be repros, but the color is what you were looking for. IMO after so many years they tend to fade or get reddish brown. Nothing is set in stone with these cars.
Attachments
IMG_0004.jpg

Donald Pirch
356 Fan

#5 Post by Donald Pirch »

The flat blade drivers have all the right Jorg markings so these must be originals. The repops I've seen have NO markings at all. Thanks
Donald E. Pirch

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#6 Post by Victor Ingram »

Don the repops that I have seen and purchased have had the JORG markings and typically they are advertised as reproductions. They are
very good reproductions and affordable & growing acceptance because of the lack of originals.
Telling signs of reproductions are; they are perfect, no chips in the handles, no oil marks, no water stains, no pits in the metal, and the decals are not worn.
If you look closely at the #7 here I had it restored, the paint was more orange then red so we tried to match it, the metal has been replated but you can still
see the pitting of a 50 year old screwdriver that got banged around. This one is for a pre-a so it did not require a decal.
Just some info to help you in your search.
Attachments
IMG_0893.jpg

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#7 Post by James Davies »

More important than the exact shade is the fact that the Jörg tools have a semi-transparent lacquer coating that allows the wood grain to show through. Where it is thin, they are almost magenta; where it is thick, they are a deep red.

Also, the early 1953-54 (maybe 55 too) Jörg tools do have stickers, but they are different than the later "Jörg Extra" ones. They have "Jörg Garantie" on them instead, in a very similar-looking sticker. But of course with use, these stickers get worn off, just like the stickers on the Hazet wrenches.