Driver restoration

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
josephferreira
356 Fan

Driver restoration

#1 Post by josephferreira »

Hi, I'm located in New Jersey and own a 1956 Porsche 356a, I'm looking for help on any and all info people can provide on restorations ( I'm not looking for nut and bolt ) but a complete paint change car is silver and want to make it black its original color also would like to dress up the motor as it looks like it was rebuilt and runs well, all new rubber and chrome, any one know of a good shop in jersey and what something like this will typically cost, I know that it's difficult as each car is different but would like some help as I'm a little green in the 356 world.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

Re: Driver restoration

#2 Post by Spencer Harris »

Joseph,
Depending on how much emphasis on originality you're looking for I suggest a couple of books available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble or eBay.
The 356 Porsche : A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity by Brett Johnson and
Restored by Hand : The Nuts and Bolts of Porsche 356 Restoration by Ron Roland
These are both very good reference books that may help you determine how deeply you want to dive in with your project.
I'm sure some of the E. Coast members can recommend restorations shop nearby for you.
Great looking car as it is pictured! Good luck with your project and update with progress photos as you proceed.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

Hi Joseph,
Some people spend $15,000 on a "fluff up" and some people spend $100,000. Sometimes the reasons are easily justified and sometimes they are not. Sometimes the shop is honest and, well, you know. You had better be careful and you had better understand what level of work the shop does vs what level of spending you are prepared to pay. Cheap shops do cheap quality work and expensive shops may or may not do high quality work.

I live in the Philadelphia area and I use Bill Kemper, Panelwerks, in Mentor Ohio 6 hours away from me for most of my 356s. He is honest and does very nice work.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#4 Post by Victor Ingram »

Joseph,
I am also in New Jersey (north) Denville to be exact.
PM me! I may be able to give you some leads and share some restoration information with you.
BTW love the "wind wings", great accessory!!!
Victor Ingram

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#5 Post by Edwin Ek »

Paterek Brothers in Chatham New Jersey is a top-notch shop. They have been working on these cars for decades and have an international reputation. John is registry member number 78.

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dick Roth »

I second Ed's recommendation. The Paterek Brothers are as good as they come, and they are fair and honest. They restored my 1959 Carrera GT coupe that took two top prizes at the 1990 Parade in Monterey. John will not hype you into an over budget project. They know these cars as well as anyone...Good luck. RR