Speedster side spears

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

Speedster side spears

#1 Post by Chuck House »

Does anyone know of someone who supplies the side spears (Speedsters, D's, Roadsters, etc.) in bare aluminum like the originals? I called Stiddard and SMC and they said theirs were anodized (like the kit cars). I know I can strip the anodizing but it's a PITA and worth the money to buy bare ones if available.
Chuck House
Southern California

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Speedster side spears

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Chuck: If you don't locate the non-anodized ones, I found a local shop that can strip the anodizing. I just had them strip the anodizing off some B/C bumper and rocker decos. They then sent them out to have scratches removed and polished then back for anodizing. Very reasonably priced and I'm very happy with the results.

Custom Metal Finishing in Gardena. 319-532-5075. Ask for Dave.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Chuck House »

Mike Wilson wrote:Chuck: If you don't locate the non-anodized ones, I found a local shop that can strip the anodizing. I just had them strip the anodizing off some B/C bumper and rocker decos. They then sent them out to have scratches removed and polished then back for anodizing. Very reasonably priced and I'm very happy with the results.

Custom Metal Finishing in Gardena. 319-532-5075. Ask for Dave.
Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I may go that route or just strip them myself. I was just hoping to find good repos. Too bad they are all anodized. Also, the 356Bs had bare decos with solid ends at least through mid'63 production. Quality repo decos for Bs have never been available to my knowledge so most have been replaced with anodized C decos with split ends.
Chuck House
Southern California

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

The repros I have seen look exactly as you described, Chuck. Feel free to contact me off-line if you'd like addtional info on my experience,
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

#5 Post by Per Schroeder »

FWIW: Anodizing on aluminum can be stripped quite easily with oven cleaner. Go for the "Original Formula" type that doesn't mention anything about "fume free" The lye does pretty quick work.
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

Good point, Per. I used Easy Off to remove the anodizing on some B/C horn grills.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

If they were the same size/length on C coupes I deleted mine when I did my restoration but still have them.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Thomas Frisardi
356 Fan

#8 Post by Thomas Frisardi »

Per Schroeder wrote:FWIW: Anodizing on aluminum can be stripped quite easily with oven cleaner. Go for the "Original Formula" type that doesn't mention anything about "fume free" The lye does pretty quick work.
There must be some of this in the wheel cleaners that ruin the finish on Fuchs rims.

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

#9 Post by Per Schroeder »

Yea, strong bases will definitely cause the issue on Fuchs. That's why P21S has that ad that says "No Lyes" for its wheel cleaner.
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jim Alton »

Per Schroeder wrote:FWIW: Anodizing on aluminum can be stripped quite easily with oven cleaner. Go for the "Original Formula" type that doesn't mention anything about "fume free" The lye does pretty quick work.
If you're very careful this may work but aluminum will dissolve in NaOH (lye) solutions.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

#11 Post by Per Schroeder »

So will your hands. Oven cleaner, IIRC, is a pretty low concentration of lye. Spray on...let sit for a bit, wipe off. Reapply as needed. Rubber gloves if you like having cuticles.
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer

Pascal Giai
356 Fan

#12 Post by Pascal Giai »

Chuck,
did you find the answer ?
I am assembling my car and would like to know...

Regards

Pascal Giai, San Diego

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#13 Post by Chuck House »

pascal giai wrote:Chuck,
did you find the answer ?
I am assembling my car and would like to know...

Regards

Pascal Giai, San Diego
Hi Pascal,

No one that I am aware of makes good reproductions of the side spears, however with work you can make the reproductions look like originals. You have to strip the anodizing and polish. You also have to file/dress the front fender and door spears where they meet at the door. The original spear gaps followed the door gap which means they are unique to the left or right right side of the car while the reproductions do not and look bad if not dressed properly at the front door gap.
Chuck House
Southern California

Pascal Giai
356 Fan

#14 Post by Pascal Giai »

Very good !
Did you use "oven cleaner" to remove the plating ???

Pascal

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#15 Post by Chuck House »

Last set I did I just sanded with progressive finer grit sandpaper followed by 0000 steel wool and then aluminum compound on the buffer. I've also used oven cleaner but it doesn't leave the aluminum surface that great and you still have to sand. Any way you look at it, it's still a lot of work to make them look right and not look like kit car spears. It's worth it though.
Chuck House
Southern California