1957 Coupe Colour Combination Question

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Pascal A J Maeter
356 Fan

1957 Coupe Colour Combination Question

#1 Post by Pascal A J Maeter »

I saw my newly acquired 356A for the first time today, Meissen Blue with a (currently) black interior and dark grey carpets. It is pretty clear that below the black vinyl, the original brown colour (as indicated on the Kardex as 5703B) still lurks. I have seen a Meissen Blue with brown interior car on the Canepa website, and, at least to me, it looks a challenging combination so I am thinking about red. In all events, would the carpets ever have been dark grey, or would they have been oatmeal regardless of vinyl colour? The headliner will be changed from black to beige.

So, in my mind, here the options:

1. Clean up current vinyl colour from black to brown and change carpets to oatmeal;
2. Replace black vinyl with red and change carpets to oatmeal;
3. Leave black vinyl and replace carpets to oatmeal;
4. Enjoy a large G&T and do nothing besides detailing and cleaning existing set up.

All help and comments appreciated,

Pascal

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

Re: 1957 Coupe Colour Combination Question

#2 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Charcoal Gray carpet was an option in 1957. Looks good with red or black vinyl seats. Accentuates your interior and keeps colour choices simple. My 2 cents...
Have fun outfitting!
=rds

Pascal A J Maeter
356 Fan

Re: 1957 Coupe Colour Combination Question

#3 Post by Pascal A J Maeter »

Having slept on it, that probably the way I was heading as well, sometimes the best answer is to play the hands you were dealt! I have found a vinyl restoration expert (pretty common in the boating world it turns out) and I think we are going to go that route. Although I will change the headlining to beige.