Petcocks as fitted to '55 356 Continental

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
JohnLiles
356 Fan

Petcocks as fitted to '55 356 Continental

#1 Post by JohnLiles »

I have an 'outlaw' Continental , and it was shipped from Australia and spent 2 months with an empty tank.
When it arrived , put some fuel in and petcock started to leak from the turning valve shaft seal.
Decided not to refurb it but to replace it. The petcock installed had a VW logo on it - pic attached.
Ordered up the 'A' pattern petcock frm Stoddard. This has the inline arrangement of valve shaft and fuel outlet , however it is a different shape and significantly deeper , hits the pedal floorboard .

Then ordered up the 'pre A' pattern petcock from Stoddard . This has the valve shaft terminating in a small handle , so cannot fit the long handle installed in the car .

So , my question is , what pattern petcock was fitted to a '55 356 Continental , did it have the usual long handle fitted , or was it like the Stoddard 'pre A ' item - which looks a bit user unfriendly !

1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

Phil Planck
356 Fan

Re: Petcocks as fitted to '55 356 Continental

#2 Post by Phil Planck »

John
Here is the valve in my 55 Euro coupe. It was pretty easy to rebuild.
Attachments
IM002141.JPG
Phil Planck

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#3 Post by James Davies »

Hi John, the one fitted in 1955 is the leaking one on your car. Perhaps you can rebuild it? Use parts from the early VW reproduction to make yours whole again? I assume replacing the seal would do the trick?

There were at least two styles of petcock used on pre-A cars. Both had the very short filter bowl. One had a wing nut as in your photo, and one had a knurled nut.

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#4 Post by JohnLiles »

Hi guys , thanks for the quick response !

I would like to order the parts to rebuild the original petcock with short filter bowl . I am confused by the parts shown on the Stoddard website for 356 fuel system .

Can someone list what I need please ? I know the seal on the valve handle is leaking , and without taking part the original I don't know what else is in there to replace .
The kit with several bits shown seems to be for the later pattern petcock

Thanks in Advance
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brad Ripley »

Looks like a VW petcock (they call it a fuel tap). See http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 211209021A