Reproduction 16" Turbo Trim Rings

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Dennis Molnar
356 Fan

Reproduction 16" Turbo Trim Rings

#1 Post by Dennis Molnar »

16" Turbo Trim Rings. Thinking of buying a set of Reproduction trim rings. There are two people that are selling them Robert Brocker and Gareth Lawton. Has anyone purchased and used either of these Turbo Trim rings. Any comments in the quality and fit as compared to the originals?
Dennis Molnar #9083
1955 Continental Coupe
1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider
1959 Abarth Record Monza GT
1970 911-E
1973 911-S Sunroof Coupe
1983 911 SC Cabrilolet

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Reproduction 16" Turbo Trim Rings

#2 Post by James Davies »

I would avoid Gareth Lawton and his rings. He was trying to scam people 2 years ago (including me and a couple others I know), claiming that his turbo rings were NOS originals and asking high prices for them. It turns out they were reproductions. He was lying. Also, I've heard they don't fit well, but perhaps others can chime in, as I figured out his scam before committing to buy.

There is also fit issue with the other reproductions (not positive if the ones I examined were Robert's). They seem to fit Sudrad wheels well (or was it Lemmerz?) but not the other, and it has to do with the outer lip curvature on the turbo ring. Original turbo rings fit both brands of wheel fine. There's a slight difference in the details of the different brands of wheels - the offset level of the center section of the wheel relative to the rim is different by a few mm. So the repros with the curved out lip stand off by ~2mm from the center section where the bolts hold them on. Of course they can be tightened down, and should be fine. This fit issue is only an issue with one brand of wheel I believe, but perhaps there's variations in batches too, so who knows. See photo below.

All you can do is buy them and test them out. Not much else of an option except for finding bent-up originals. I would not hesitate dealing with Robert - a true enthusiast.
Attachments
20140809_40d_1770f.jpg

Hendrik Moulds
356 Fan

#3 Post by Hendrik Moulds »

I second Robert, have known him for many years and he's a true enthusiast. I know from experience that he's more interested in getting the correct details on his parts to make them authentic than making money.
'53 Cabriolet
'61 Notchback

paul vantol
356 Fan

#4 Post by paul vantol »

I second the comments of James Davies. Bought just the lugs from this source and they were made of resin and had wrong diameter bolts attached. Not good and had to do quite a bit to get my very large check back from him.... BTW, I think this is where Restoration Design is also getting theirs from, so be warned....
paul r. vantol

Rich Peters
356 Fan

#5 Post by Rich Peters »

Dennis,
Contact me as I have a beautiful set of Robert Brocker's rings complete for sale.
I saw him at the North meets South event in San Luis Obispo, Ca this weekend.
He likes the event and stays with friends in SLO.

He mentioned the first version he made are really the best of the best ones he's made.
I have the first version available.

Rich Peters
rich.peters@me.com