Pre A Quarter lights

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Pre A Quarter lights

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Sorry me again, attached you will find photos of our quarter lights and I hope you can see on the hinges there appears to be what I can only describe as a 'solder' like soft metal around the hinge /frame interface and also on the fixing screws. I first thought this was a repair to maybe stop some wobble/rattle but on close inspection it is on all the hinges, it is incredibly neat and also on a pair of 53/early '54 crown knob quarter lights I have access to. Has anyone come across this before, it's making it 'interesting' and I hope not impossible removing these screws for plating this assembly! I don't suppose you leave this bit of the hinge on for plating?
V
Attachments
KCT QRTR LIGHTS FUEL TANK SENDER & FUEL COCK 006.JPG
KCT QRTR LIGHTS FUEL TANK SENDER & FUEL COCK 007.JPG
V. Gillespie

Bil Brown
356 Fan

Re: Pre A Quarter lights

#2 Post by Bil Brown »

All the quarter window frames have the hinges soldered on. Some have rivots, some screws. A propane torch will get them loose easily, does`nt take much heat.
Bill Brown

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#3 Post by Spencer Harris »

Vincent Gillespie wrote:I don't suppose you leave this bit of the hinge on for plating?
Vincent,
It's been years since I re-chromed my '55 quarter windows, but I'm pretty sure we just removed the hinge pin and left the base soldered to the frame. Someone with more recent experience may confirm or dispute this.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

Were they soldered after chroming originally?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#5 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello and thanks for the replies, yes I've removed a bit under a lens & the solder is on top of the chrome. It's a simple way to keep the screws from falling out but makes it a a b^&))£$ to dismantle, if only they'd thought of us lot all those years ago!
V
V. Gillespie