Pre A '55 fuel tank float

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Pre A '55 fuel tank float

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, I have just pulled out the fuel tank sender and found the plastic covered cork float on the end which, until I looked it up, assumed it was a cheap repair. As you can see from the photo the plastic coating is in a bit of a state and I was wondering how anyone else restored one of these. Is it a case of switching to a plastic float, is there some way of retaining this or is that simply madness.
Thanks
V
Attachments
KCT QRTR LIGHTS FUEL TANK SENDER & FUEL COCK 017.JPG
KCT QRTR LIGHTS FUEL TANK SENDER & FUEL COCK 016.JPG
V. Gillespie

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

Re: Pre A '55 fuel tank float

#2 Post by Spencer Harris »

Vincent Gillespie wrote:Is it a case of switching to a plastic float, is there some way of retaining this or is that simply madness.
Thanks
V
Your call:
NLA-201-801-00 Fuel Tank Level Sending Unit for 356 Pre-A, 356A, and 356B T5 $116.10
nla20180100lg.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#3 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Thanks, but I'm trying to use as much of the original parts as possible.
V
V. Gillespie

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#4 Post by Victor Ingram »

Vincent,
Joris Koning does float restorations, these are before/after pictures. Mine was not quite as bad as yours. He did not replace the cork but re-coated it, he will replace the cork if needed. I have it installed it and it looks beautiful and works great. To repair is is approximately 3 times the cost to purchase the replacement. How authentic do you want your car to be is the question? Or buy the replacement and just hold on to the original until you feel so inclined to have it restored.
Attachments
IMG_0955.jpg
IMG_0960.jpg
IMG_1139.jpg
IMG_0959.jpg
IMG_1138.jpg

jim saunders
356 Fan

#5 Post by jim saunders »

Hi Vincent, If you ever need encouragement to keep things as they were originally, I'm your man. How lucky we are in the Registry to have people willing and able to repair correctly. And where would we be without Joris. It's my opinion to get these things done while there's the service available. So....if it was my float, and it could be repaired to it's original state, no hesitation. The enjoyment in getting things right is what makes the difference. Cheers, jim