Pre A '55 Shine down light, reflectors and script location

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Pre A '55 Shine down light, reflectors and script location

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, I have seen the great photo of the rear of an A, posted on Oct 23rd 2011, with all the measurements for these, am I correct in thinking they are the same for our '55 Pre A?
Thanks.
V
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Pre A '55 Shine down light, reflectors and script locati

#2 Post by James Davies »

Hi Vincent, can you share the 356A one with us? I suspect it is the same as your '55. In fact, add it to this Shine down thread:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=35318

Some of the Hella shine downs did not have any stampings on them. This is true of some cars from 1953 through 1957 - very original, unrestored, unmolsted cars. So if yours don't have one, then don't add it.

If yours has the wrong marking, well, I think there were only 2 versions:

Hella
~~~~

and

Hella
~~~~
K1431

The early cars (1952-53) seemed to have the first version. The marking on these looks like a stamping that was then chromed over - sometimes pretty indistinct. The ones with K1431 on them look engraved, and usually seem much clearer and finer. The change from first to second type occurred between August and October 1953. Limited data available, but that seems to be the case based on dozens of examples, some of which you can see in the link above.

The white lens with "K1431 Hella ~~~~" on it started being used between mid-June and mid-July 1953. Before that the white lens had no markings.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#3 Post by James Davies »

Ah, I misunderstood your question. You're asking where the holes in the bodywork are for mounting these items.

Yes, 1955 pre-A and 356A T1 should be exactly the same.

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#4 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello James, once again thanks very much, the photo I am referring to is found in viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28376&p=142848&hilit=Location+of+porsche+script+on+an+A#p142848.
Your information regarding the shine down is also really useful at the moment, mine has the Hella ~~~ K1431 markings, well just about, as they are so faint. It is at the platers at the moment, it was stripped then I enhanced the logo, it will be polished and I will do it again and only then will it be chromed, I hope something remains of them. I had to do the enhancement myself as no one I would trust to do it would go anywhere near it, so it was out with the X12 binocular microscope & dissection kit! I would never have guessed that these 2 pieces of kit would get used so much in this restoration.
V
V. Gillespie

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#5 Post by Victor Ingram »

Vincent do you need measurements for placement?
Attachments
IMG_1121.jpg

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#6 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, yes please all information gratefully received, I get a bit paranoid when we doing things like drilling holes!
V
V. Gillespie