COA help

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
David Fox
356 Fan

COA help

#1 Post by David Fox »

I recently received my COA on my 1957 A sunroof coupe, serial #101304 and it doesn't list the sunroof under "Optional Equipment", only "Instruments in Metric" is noted. Also, under "Interior Material Color/Type" it says "information not available". I called Porsche and they have no more information as they go by what is on the Cardex. Any chance someone has other resources they can furnish or recommend? Thanks for any help.

Bil Brown
356 Fan

Re: COA help

#2 Post by Bil Brown »

David......I have 58 Coupe # 104749 with sunroof. The COA I received does not mention the sunroof. However, it does list a "Bosch heater" as an option.....??? Anyone with any idea what a Bosch heater is? These COA "documents" are suspect to me.
Bill Brown

David Fox
356 Fan

#3 Post by David Fox »

Bill,
Bosch heaters were an auxiliary gas heater offered by both VW and Porsche, usually mounted in the front luggage comp. and fueled by a separate line from the engine's fuel tank. It also had it's own blower for increased cabin heat. Effective, but could be dangerous.

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bil Brown »

David.....I`ve had Eberspachers, Southwinds, Webastos......but I`ve never heard of, or seen of a "Bosch heater" in my 45 plus years of workin on 356 cars.
Attachments
SAM_0306.JPG
Bill Brown

C J Murray
356 Fan

#5 Post by C J Murray »

Buyers will assume that your cars were clipped. Many cars have been but I would guess that Bil would know what to look for to know. Why are all the other options listed but the major option is not? There are some stories of cars having sunroofs fitted by Golde after they left the factory. I would think that most of them were sold to European buyers.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Vic Skirmants »

The A gas heaters were in the engine compartment; that's why there is a large "dent" in the rear panel of the engine compartment.
1958-59.

David Fox
356 Fan

#7 Post by David Fox »

My first job out of college(1970) was with the Northeast Distributor for VW and Porsche located just north of Boston. Part of my responsibilities was handling European Tourist Delivery, dealing with the factory orders for cars/accessories for customers picking up their cars all over the world. I could be wrong(it's been awhile) but I seem to recall Bosch as one of heater suppliers. Also, at least in VW's, the heater was located in the front and in my 1965 C coupe one had been installed in the spare tire well(it could have been aftermarket). Note: Still looking for the reason as to why my COA was so incomplete???

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bil Brown »

SAM_0788.JPG
I just received a copy of the Kardex for my 58 Coupe, looks like no sunroof, but I`m still confused about the "BOSCH aggregate"......what`s that? Looks like the old girl has a birthday soon!...bb
Bill Brown

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

"Aggregate" = "units" so that's unclear. I think "Eierleisten" is egg crate, like those cardboard egg boxes. Your car came with a built-in optional egg holder for cracking a soft-boiled egg in morning traffic, maybe? Was there also a "butterteller" (dish)?

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#10 Post by Norm Miller »

Bill,

Bosch aggregate

Could it be "undercoating"?

:D

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#11 Post by Bil Brown »

If it is "undercoating", would`nt they all have that listed. Above, the COA says "Bosch heater".
Bill Brown

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#12 Post by Norm Miller »

Bill,
When I was there, "Zuffenhausen" in 1956 they had more Turks than Germans working.
Perhaps it's bad translation!
Greek to Turkish to Deutch to English.
If you ever see one of those take a picture and send it to me
I have seen windshield heaters, had one in my speedster in '59. (electric defroster)
Norm