Sunroof guide - screws

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
jim saunders
356 Fan

Sunroof guide - screws

#1 Post by jim saunders »

Collecting all the parts together for my 1965 SC sunroof. Everything apart, in boxes, lots missing.
I think I have everything now, thanks to the miracle of finding a pair of NOS Guides.
Seriously, how amazing is that !
But I need screws. In the parts book the Guide screws are listed as AM 5 x 15 Din 85.
Fillister Head Screw cad plated.
Fillister Head is pretty much a Pan Head I think,
I also need the M5,3 External teeth fan type lock washers that accompany these screws.
Of course these parts are long unavailable, so I will need to find replacements as close as possible. Hopefully perfect.
If someone could post a photo of both these parts, so I can see what I need to find, I'd be most grateful.
Thanks very much for any help.
Thanks, jim

bob lerche
356 Fan

Re: Sunroof guide - screws

#2 Post by bob lerche »

Are these the screws you are looking for? These are from the aluminum cover/rails from my T6.
Attachments
img1484.jpg
img1483.jpg

jim saunders
356 Fan

#3 Post by jim saunders »

Hi bob and thanks for the photo. I will need some of these as well, and I'm guessing they must be the Flat Head Screw, chrome plated, and the Oval Head tapping screw.
I'm looking for a photo of the Fillister Head screw and washer that hold the Guides. There are 2 each side.
Thanks very much for your help. jim

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brad Ripley »

Here you go
DIN 85 5 x 15 is 900-015-007-02 in stock, see
http://www.stoddard.com/catalogsearch/r ... 00-015-007

DIN 6798 5,3 is 900-115-011-01 no stock looks like
http://www.chinafastener.com/standards/1314.htm there are similar domestic ones.

Nuts and bolts are easy. It's the other sun roof parts that are hard to find.

jim saunders
356 Fan

#5 Post by jim saunders »

Hi Brad, Thanks very much for your reply, and the links.
The washer looks very close to what I imagined would be correct. But I could be wrong !
The original Fillister Head [ Pan Head ? ] Screw has the Phillips drive, not a slot.
If there is someone with original parts who can post a photo it would be of immense help.
It still means searching for what's correct, but at least I'd know what I'm looking for !
Thanks Brad for all your help. jim

Gary Koehler
356 Fan

#6 Post by Gary Koehler »

Jim,

These are guides from a '59 sunroof. The screw head dia. is 8.9 mm x 3.5 mm thick and a 5 mm screw thread, they have 5mm spring washers under them. Can't say for sure, but they are all the same and all look to be the original slotted screws.

Gary
Attachments
IMG_1331.jpg

jim saunders
356 Fan

#7 Post by jim saunders »

Gary, thanks very much for the photo. My car is a 1965, so different mechanism I'm thinking. A short time back another Registry member, Larry, posted a photo of his original sunroof guide in situ, showing the head of the screws. Here's the link to that photo.
download/file.php?id=43217&mode=view
These are the same as the Guides for my car, so I'm assuming I need these Phillip head screws and the External teeth Fan type lockwashers.
Thanks, jim

Guido Kwikkers
356 Fan

#8 Post by Guido Kwikkers »

I have been through the same process and have some spare parts. If you are looking for some parts let me know.

jim saunders
356 Fan

#9 Post by jim saunders »

Hi Guido, I've sent you an email. Thanks, jim

Guido Kwikkers
356 Fan

#10 Post by Guido Kwikkers »

Hu Jim, unfortuately I don't have your email address to reply. I have reproduced (1:1) the adjustment screw. More over the inner frame and bar will be made soon. If you need pictures let me know.

I have the manual available how to install the sunroof but it is solely in German