T6 Luggage compartment detail

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

T6 Luggage compartment detail

#1 Post by Chuck House »

Can someone post any photos of an original, unrestored T6 luggage compartment without the plastic cover? In particular, I'm looking for undercoating detail in front of the tank around the ID plates. It doesn't look like there is much, if any in that area. Also corner details for the impregnated jute padding. Wil?
Chuck House
Southern California

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: T6 Luggage compartment detail

#2 Post by Chuck House »

Wil M. was kind enough to send me some photos offline so I have what I need. Thanks Wil.
Chuck House
Southern California

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#3 Post by Cliff Hanson »

Chuck House wrote:Can someone post any photos of an original, unrestored T6 luggage compartment without the plastic cover? In particular, I'm looking for undercoating detail in front of the tank around the ID plates. It doesn't look like there is much, if any in that area. Also corner details for the impregnated jute padding. Wil?
Here are some photos of my C coupe. There was a mat around the fuel tank that was sort of a horse hair or fibrous material impregnated with asphalt (first photo). The side walls were undercoated. I used a felt type material that I brushed an asphalt emulsion into from both sides and allowed to dry before gluing with contact adhesive to the body.
Attachments
Fuel Tank Recess.JPG
Front Compartment Refinished.JPG
Fuse Panel.JPG
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#4 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Just a few thoughts about the original materials and their installation into the apple of your eye.

The factory material installed below the fuel tank, although it may have provided some sound dampening qualities, it also is where water condensation lays for days, maybe weeks, or months while it works away at the finish of the metal in the floor of that area.

Then, moving up to the material used over the fuel tank, here again, I found when pulling my project apart that the condensation that remained hidden below this asphaltic-tar type material was, without doubt responsible for all the rust pin holes in the top of my original fuel tank.

Soooo, go forth and do what you think best, but, for my project, that stuff will be something else, something appropriate that will not allow condensation to be trapped to do its thing next time around.

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#5 Post by Tom Coughlin »

Glen: What material did you use on top of the tank? My T-6 is bare on top of the gas tank and needs something that looks black and like tar paper rather than nude paint. Thanks, Tom
 KTF, member #15

John Brooks
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Brooks »

This is a 65C un touched
Attachments
image.jpg
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#7 Post by Tom Coughlin »

John: Just to be clear-did it come bare from the factory? Tom
 KTF, member #15

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan

#8 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

The new tank for my '63 project looks like that pictured in the C model above. I'll probably use a cloth like material to create a heavy-felt tank cover, probably something like Porsche used in our '80 911. The 911 has a type of felted tarp material under the front bonnet, will probably find a heavy fire proof felt material that also acts as a sound absorbing medium. I'll not be adding any tar or asphaltic type materials back to the project. I know what folks are using, but I've had experience with phosphoric acid for treating rusted steel, and, Porsche used Zinc over all the original bare metal in the 911 before the factory paint finish was added. Sooooo, its first phosphoric acid treatment, then a rattle can spray-on zinc coat (always use good breathing protection when using any air born products), then probably an black/grey epoxy over the zinc for those non color surfaces of the project. Don't know where this thread has been, but it just popped up in my box today. As anyone can see, I'm not one to keep to the ways Porsche used back in the day. My intent is to have the project in better condition, in every way, rather than what was available originally. Short of its being totaled out some day, this project will be back on the road again to put a grin on mine and other caretaker faces for decades to come.

David Lawrence
356 Fan

#9 Post by David Lawrence »

I replaced the tank on my 64C a couple of years ago, below are 3 pictures of the original tank after it was removed.

The first one shows the removed tank with the factory pad on the top.

The second picture is after I removed the pad to put it onto the new tank. To remove the pad I left the tank outside on a very cold night in January when the temperature got down into the single numbers. I then pried up the edges and popped the pad off the tank.

The third picture is the bottom of the removed tank showing the rust on the area where the tank is exposed to the road.

Hope this clears up any confusion.
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
David Lawrence #1087
'64 C Cabriolet (Signal Red/Black Leather)

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan

#10 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Condensation 101. Air born water will condense anywhere there is a cold surface when the air reaches dew point. This is the reason for all the rust in our tubs. That black tar and mastic applied by the factory, it was never complete and never covered all the voids between the metal and the heavy tar paper material added over the hot tar back in the day. Also, as the body flexes, and it does flex brothers and sisters, the tar cracks and the moisture condenses through those crack to the bare metal surfaces, below the tar. Because of condensation water being trapped in the cracks and crevices below the original sound deadening, well, there was the materials failures that we have been dealing with since the beginning of our projects.

Today, and since the late 70's, Porsche has been zinc coating all its chassis metal. That has solved pretty much all of the rust issues. The factory is no longer laminating with tar, it did not work then and, well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#11 Post by John Brooks »

Tom.
As far as I know it came like this. I have no real documents on this car. A friend just bought it. It was partially restored 25 years ago. It has the best repaint I have seen in a long time. The story goes the original owner had it painted in the Bay Area. I originally thought it looked like a John Willhoit or Tim Goodrich paint. Absolutely perfect, so over spray anywhere, after 20 minutes I found a small drip inside the rear fender below e reflector hole. But he never put it back together, then died and his daughter left it in the garage under cover until she sold it.

The sound deadening is all original. The tank has no witness marks from the tar, but does have some light stuffing from the plastic liner. The tank down clamps appear to be original and not removed. The owner is at SEMA so I can not get back and take more photos.

To the best of my knowledge it came bare.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Several old threads showing some original C's came without the top black piece but it seems most had the top piece. I read them while restoring my 65C. My car had the black top mat but although I have the Stoddard piece I have yet to put it on my restored tank. I can't decide if it is worth doing.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#13 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Indeed, many late model C cars came without a tarred mat cover on their fuel tank, per my all original 65C cab's pictured tank with original paint (as provided Chuck earlier in this thread).
Attachments
DSCN0395.JPG