Preservation or restore ?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Peter Tapper
356 Fan
Tag: Never take the easy option !

Preservation or restore ?

#1 Post by Peter Tapper »

I am about to take delivery of an interesting 356 B from 1963, the car is still 100% in its original form, never painted, totally original inside, all matching numbers including wheels, glass etc. the paint work is of course faded and a few holes underneath and down the 'B' post. Am told it should be left alone or a simple sympathetic restoration of the holes ? The car is on its was from Texas back to its European home.
Would be interesting to see what members thought ?
Thanks Peter
Attachments
Toot kit, cleaning cloth etc all still remain
Toot kit, cleaning cloth etc all still remain
Engine looks tidy and told runs very well
Engine looks tidy and told runs very well
Interior is tatty, but all original .
Interior is tatty, but all original .
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by Peter Tapper on Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Proasi
Classifieds Moderator

Re: Preservation or restore ?

#2 Post by Tony Proasi »

Leave it alone! Just enjoy it

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alex Parmenter »

They are only original once! Get it mechanically 100% and then......drive it :D

Looks like a great car, post more photos when you can!
Always searching for parts for my Oct 54 Pre A coupe including these:
2 piece 546/2 engine close to #336XX
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor
Bosch SH/ZS4/1 Ignition switch
Beige knobs for light switch, choke and heater controls

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

There is really no correct answer here. To me unrestored is not better than restored, but it is much cheaper and can be every bit as enjoyable, and less of a liability to park somewhere. Lately "patina" cars have become quite a fad, but if you want your car to look better than when it was new, that's ok too
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'd say preserve but repair the obvious defects. As the saying goes, "rust never sleeps." However, once you start repairs, you may uncover additional work that needs to be done. I call it "pulling the thread on a sweater.

I definitely agree with Alex on getting it mechanically sorted out.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

steverestelli
356 Fan
Tag: 1961 Karmann Notchback

#6 Post by steverestelli »

There is nothing like an honest original survivor. Original cars in this condition are extremely rare and represent exactly what the factory put out.
The marketplace seems to also reward a premium price for such cars.
So I would rebuild and improve only the internal mechanicals and maintain all the other original aspects, except where you can upgrade with original replacement NOS or excellent other original pieces.
My 1961 was fully restored in 1974 and an engine rebuild in 2014, and I love the look of having a beautiful car that has aged like a fine wine, yet can be driven anywhere. I also like having 110 hp, and the reliability of a 12 volt MSD ignition set up.
I have upgraded the front bumper chrome, rear reflectors, front directional signal chrome pieces with OEM pieces. I rebuilt a few light sockets and improved connections in some of these lights but you cannot tell unless you disassemble them and look inside.
1961 356B T5 Karmann Hardtop #200279 Sports Coupe named "Carmine"
2nd & 4th Owner of this car 1970-73 found again on Ebay in 2013 & bought it back 128K miles

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#7 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Hi Peter,

Its yours, whatever fills your sails is just fine. My project is also a '63 coupe with S/R, a Super also. It was not in any way similar to your acquisition except in color, year and model. My plan is to bring the shell back close to original and that will be where its originality ends, but it will remain a 6 volt system. A previous owner, said to live in CA, was in the process of restoring the project, when thieves broke into his garage and walked away with all the parts he had removed from the vehicle. Everything removed from the exterior was gone. Heartbroken, he moved on and that's when the next owner entered the picture. That person thought the tub was pretty solid and remarketed it that way. Engine, tranny, doors, hood and bonnet, seats, etc, all original to the production numbers. However, this next owner, who owned two other 356's, also wanted a 911 Targa he found, and used the sale of the '63 to further reduce the cash out of pocket for the 911. I was the high bidder on eBay, but not high enough to meet his reserve. We negotiated a number and the project became mine.

What I would do with it was a no brainer. It will be lighter, safer, stronger, and the list goes on. It will have every performance and longevity upgrade that 1600 cc might have lusted over back in the day, and then some tweaks that will fully bring it up to current driving expectations.

I'm wondering how far apart on the assembly line our acquisitions were, especially as they are both originally ruby. 121501 is the number on my projects chassis, where is yours in the lineup? So that you fully realize what a jewel you have, have a look at where I started.

https://porsche356registry.org/categories/4/albums/38

And Peter, do not be surprised to discover more holes and rust than you're anticipating. What the factory did back in the day to lengthen the life of the tub was mostly wrong, really wrong. I will not go there, I will not be making the same decisions about preserving all the work its taking to bring it back to its next life on the open road. And, it will not be citation red.

All the best with your find, and do go over the whole thing, thoroughly. Until you pull most of it apart, you are not going to know what you really have. Looking forward to hearing about whatever you find buried beneath all that tar, undercoating, and insulation. Whatever you find, and whichever way you prefer your 356, do make it better for the next caretaker.

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

Nice looking car, Peter. Why not drive it for a few months first when it's warmer? What's less obvious but needs attention will become apparent when you use it.

If the car spent its life in dry west Texas the rust may be confined to the areas in front of the doors, the rocker panels, jack spurs and the v brace underneath. It might pass the TUV inspection. If it spent its life around Houston those pin holes are the tip of the iceberg and the least of your problems. "Mechanically sound" includes repairing rusted out areas of the structure, not just what bolts on to it. At that point you'll be painting it anyway.

VinceFinaldi
356 Fan

#9 Post by VinceFinaldi »

Preserve. Restored is never the same...

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#10 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Restore. Preserve what you find and it will just continue to wither away....

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#11 Post by Martin Benade »

The last two ideas are generalizations, it depends on the actual condition of the car as to which one is correct, and who does the work. We can't tell from here what is right.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Peter Tapper
356 Fan

#12 Post by Peter Tapper »

Tony Proasi wrote:Leave it alone! Just enjoy it
Good idea and am so looking forward to the car arriving ! Cheers

Peter Tapper
356 Fan

#13 Post by Peter Tapper »

Alex Parmenter wrote:They are only original once! Get it mechanically 100% and then......drive it :D

Looks like a great car, post more photos when you can!
Hi Alex, thanks for that, I think it's a good idea I just enjoy the thought of its whole history sitting along side the driver. Will post detailed photos when it arrives in December
Peter

Peter Tapper
356 Fan

#14 Post by Peter Tapper »

Martin Benade wrote:There is really no correct answer here. To me unrestored is not better than restored, but it is much cheaper and can be every bit as enjoyable, and less of a liability to park somewhere. Lately "patina" cars have become quite a fad, but if you want your car to look better than when it was new, that's ok too

Hi Martin thank you for the advise, I think I will end up having the car prepared and MOT'd for the UK , I understand that I could have a partial 'sympathetic restoration' carried out which may at least help preserve the car so I can use as much as possible .
Kind regards
Peter

Peter Tapper
356 Fan

#15 Post by Peter Tapper »

Mike Wilson wrote:I'd say preserve but repair the obvious defects. As the saying goes, "rust never sleeps." However, once you start repairs, you may uncover additional work that needs to be done. I call it "pulling the thread on a sweater.

I definitely agree with Alex on getting it mechanically sorted out.
Hi Mike thank you for the advise, you just don't know until I have seen the car I suppose, it may be terrible lol it's actually just been collected by my shipper, it started and drove on to the shipping container anyway ! As you say, the rust will continue, particularly in the English climate.
Cheers for now
Peter