HELP! 55 Cab Body TO door rubber

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Victor Ingram
356 Fan

HELP! 55 Cab Body TO door rubber

#1 Post by Victor Ingram »

I am in the process of installing body to door trim in the cab! I have attached some pictures of the new rubber and need some help.
The orange picture is of an "original" 54 cabriolet, the seal looks different from the reproductions, it looks like it installs the same way with the short side wrapping around the leather, BUT the long side of the seal faces inward.
Now if I take the reproductions and wrap the short side the same the long side faces inward toward the rear of the car and sits flat against the body of the car.
If I install the long side around the leather and the short side toward the closing mechanism in the door jam the doors close with a lot less resistance. ? ? ?
What is more curious to me is that the short side and long side "match up" with the top rubber!
Any input is appreciated and pictures are even better, before I start cutting up the seals to make them fit.
Attachments
IMG_0659.JPG
IMG_0656.JPG
20141124_192819_resized.jpg
IMG_0658.JPG

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

Re: HELP! 55 Cab Body TO door rubber

#2 Post by Steve Harrison »

The first and last pictures don't look right to me. The third picture down looks like the right orientation but the "bulb" of the seal has to be pushed down into the channel more. I don't know cabs at all and if they have a different seal from coupes. IF so,...then disregard my ramblings.
Basicaly, if you look at the seal end, the "small" lip covers the vinyl/leather, and the "big" lip lays against the lockpost. You realy have to shove it in there. Raise the big lip with one finger and push the seal into the channel with the four fingers of your other hand. You also have to "work" the small lip over the edge of the channel to get it to seal off the vinyl work.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brad Ripley »

Here's a page out of the early workshop manual. Maybe you need the early version of the seal. See International Mercantile for this seal
Attachments
Door seals.jpg

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#4 Post by Victor Ingram »

Thank you Ned, Tom, Steve & Brad, NOW it makes sense. Having this forum to share information is invaluable.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#5 Post by James Davies »

Victor, I suspect your '55 had the later type of door seal. Certainly cars up through '53 (and it appears '54) had the early type originally installed. Of course they are interchangeable, so whatever works and is available. It looks like VeloceSpace makes both seals, though their early one doesn't look like the right shape from the photo. I have not tried it.

Donald Zingg
356 Fan

#6 Post by Donald Zingg »

Check with Tom Birch to see if he still has early rubber door seals available.
The pattern for his repro was an NOS door seal. The X-section profile is a perfect match to the original.
Birchwerks@aol.com

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#7 Post by Victor Ingram »

With great advice and pictures and finally some warm weather I managed to get the rubber in place at the rear of the door openings. Now the front!! Does anyone have pictures and suggestions on how to fit the front body door seals. Is the front one continuous run or two pieces fitted at the bend? If its one run does the back have to be scored to make the bend?
thanks
Attachments
IMG_1170.jpg
IMG_1169.jpg
IMG_1171.jpg

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#8 Post by James Davies »

Hi Victor, it's just one continuous piece on the front edge of the door frame. Same as the rear, despite the kink 2/3 the way up.

At the bottom, you want to cut both front and rear seals so that they overlap with the bottom seal. This is how Reutter did it. Perhaps a photo helps.
Attachments
20141218_40d_3757f copy.jpg

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#9 Post by Victor Ingram »

Thanks James
The picture is great, the rear wasn't too bad, the fronts might take some work.
Thanks again

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#10 Post by Victor Ingram »

I didn't make it to Hershey but I did get the door seals in. Thanks to everyone that helped out.
Attachments
IMG_1172 (1).jpg
IMG_1171.jpg

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#11 Post by James Davies »

Nicely done Victor! Sorry we couldn't see you and your car at Hershey. Next year! It's looking fantastic.