Pre-A SWF washer pumps taxonomy

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Pre-A SWF washer pumps taxonomy

#16 Post by James Davies »

Cool Dennis. Added it to the list up top. Yours is the earliest cylindrical pump we know of - Jun 1954. Thanks!

The period of uncertainty has shrunk to between Jul 1953 and May 1954. =]

Steven Burk
356 Fan

#17 Post by Steven Burk »

My '52 Cab has an SWF electric pump hooked up to the standard washer bottle. Date code HE on the pump.
Steve

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#18 Post by James Davies »

Cool Steve. What does the electric pump look like, and how is it mounted? I've never seen one of those before.

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#19 Post by Phil Planck »

Knob and pump on 53248(1955):
Attachments
Washer Pump 1.JPG
Phil Planck

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#20 Post by James Davies »

Thanks Phil!

Here's a comparison of details of two original pumps. Both these have screw-on plastic knobs as used by Mercedes, different from the aluminum knob or "W" plastic knob we've more commonly seen.
Attachments
'53 pump top, '55 pump bottom
'53 pump top, '55 pump bottom
'53 barrel pump on the left, '55 cylindrical pump on the right
'53 barrel pump on the left, '55 cylindrical pump on the right
'53 on the left, '55 on the right
'53 on the left, '55 on the right
'53 pump bulb on the left, '55 pump bulb on the right.
'53 pump bulb on the left, '55 pump bulb on the right.
'55 pump on the left, '53 pump on the right.  Notice the brass check valve stem has a different shape.  And the washers.
'55 pump on the left, '53 pump on the right. Notice the brass check valve stem has a different shape. And the washers.
Last edited by James Davies on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Cohn
356 Fan

#21 Post by Mark Cohn »

Here is an example from Jan 54- W knob, cylindrical shape as opposed to beer keg, and washers under the screw heads on the back. Bolt heads on mounting bracket have slots cut for screwdriver.
Jan 54 washer pump
Jan 54 washer pump
Jan 54 washer pump
Jan 54 washer pump
Apparently, at some point, there were some detail changes on the reservoir as well. Check out the picture below I lifted from the samba. The SWF logo on the lid has a large circle around it and the boss around the brass suction tube is square edged instead of tapered.
Washer bottle in Beatle showing circle around SWF logo
Washer bottle in Beatle showing circle around SWF logo

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#22 Post by James Davies »

Good eye Mark. I've noticed this too. I know of 4 very original 1953 model year cars that have the bottle lid with the circle surrounding the SWF logo. This lid seems to be the earliest used on Porsches going back to late 1952. The next version of the lid dispenses with the circle around the SWF logo but retains the square boss for the tube. I believe these were also used on Porsches. Finally, the most common version one sees today had a tapered boss, and these are the most common as they were used on Porsches and VWs as an aftermarket item.

Recall that for US-delivery 356, the only cars fitted from the factory with windshield washer systems were the USA de Luxe models in 1953 and well into 1954. It became more standard in late 1954 and 1955 I believe, but by late 1955, they had switched to a bag instead of a bottle. I don't know the prevalence of Euro-delivery cars with washer systems, but I do know that many of the Supers in Europe did not have all the bells and whistles that the US ones did, such as turbo rings, washer systems and radios. It probably just depended on what was ordered by the customer. In the US, Hoffman was the customer; he and Porsche standardizes the trim levels as "USA Standard" and "USA de Luxe".
Last edited by James Davies on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#23 Post by Brad Ripley »

Don't forget an analysis of the glass bottle -- ones made by Gerresheimer Glass AG and others. --- or might be another thread?

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#24 Post by James Davies »

Haha. That would be great Brad. Gerresheimer provided the "Gerrix" bottles with the crowned "G" on them, right? Where there any others? There certainly have been a few reproductions in the intervening years, some very nice. Feel free to add some information.

And of course we can discuss SWF spray nozzles! The fire hydrant ones were 1952 through early '53 model year, but they then switched to a half dome type with a straw sticking out sometime between cars 50432 and 50502 in April/May 1953. These are reproduced by NLA I believe?
Last edited by James Davies on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#25 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, judging by the pictures all I have to do to dismantle this is remove the 2 screws on the side and pull the end off. The screws are out & I have lightly tapped the end with a leather mallet but so far the end will not budge. Am I missing something or is it just a case of upping the force of the 'tap' and/or careful use of leverage and oil? Thought it was better to ask the oracle before resorting to the bigger hammer!
Just for the record chassis No. 54122, '55, ivory knob with the 'W' as shown in Phil Planck's photo, SWF date code EG
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#26 Post by James Davies »

Hi Vincent, put on some rubber dish gloves and give the tube a twist relative to the pump base after removing the 2 screws. It should rotate, like opening a jar. The pump body is aluminum and the base is steel though, so if there's corrosion, it might need a bit of Kroil or something similar. Or maybe get something very thin between the cylinder and base, such as a razor blade, working your way around.

And thanks for the data point. Added it to the initial post. A pattern is emerging!

Best of luck!

James

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#27 Post by Jim Karaba »

James
just for your data point, the Pre-A I restored (50584) was a 1300 normal and was factory fitted with the washer system.

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#28 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Thanks, James I'll give that a go, and 54122 is a 1500N, E. No. 35630.
Vincent
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#29 Post by James Davies »

Thanks for the data point Jim! Do you recall if it was the barrel or cylinder type of pump? Aluminum or "W" knob?

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#30 Post by Jim Karaba »

The pump was missing when I got the car, so was the bottle and bracket, but when I located a replacement bottle and bracket the holes lined up perfectly where they should have been. I went with a cylinder style pump because that is what I first found. This was about 10 years ago.