Battery Box - C Coupe fron Karmann

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Eric Tipton
356 Fan

Battery Box - C Coupe fron Karmann

#1 Post by Eric Tipton »

I am replacing the battery box on my 1965 C Coupe from Karmann. The original floor had two round holes aproximately 50mm in diameter. The hole on the left side had a metal plug. All rplacement pieces that I have found are for the Reutter bodied cars. How do I replicate the holes and the plug?

Attached is a picture of the floor after it was cut out. Unfortunately both of the areas in question were cut.

Thank you
Attachments
Battery Box Floor - Holes 1.jpg
Eric Tipton
Mukilteo, WA

JohnPierce
356 Fan

Re: Battery Box - C Coupe fron Karmann

#2 Post by JohnPierce »

Eric,

I also have a Karmann coupe and would like to contact you off line. I don't know if you're still active on the R.

Thanks.

John
1963 B T6 Project

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brad Ripley »

Are there similar holes in the floor pan and rear seat area of your car?

JohnPierce
356 Fan

#4 Post by JohnPierce »

Hi Brad,

I've got a '63 Karmann coupe with the Karmann holes/plugs in the seat pans and floor pans along with the drainage holes in the outer longitudinals, quarter windows, windshield and center rear floor pan. Eric had posted the above picture showing Karmann plugs also in the the battery box pan.

My battery box floor was previously replaced poorly and I had to install a fresh replacement. I've only seen one other picture of Karmann holes/plugs in the battery box pan and that was on a car where one side of the battery box pan was missing. I'm trying to find out if other's may know about the K-plugs in the battery box: how many (probably 2) and location? Also, if anyone has more pictures. This is not the most pressing topic, but since I'm restoring my car I'd like to do it as originally done. I guess D'Ieteren also placed these plugs in there T-6 Roadsters.

Cheers,

John
1963 B T6 Project

Max Handley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Max Handley »

Does this help.click to enlarge.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Last edited by Max Handley on Thu May 12, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

John Brooks
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Brooks »

Eric

We have a group of tubs crossing the ferry at 0730 tomorrow. Want to join us for Mayfest in Leavenworth? going up the hill headed for HYW2 just before 0800

John
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965