Muffler hanger brakets for C type Euro Muffler System

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Muffler hanger brakets for C type Euro Muffler System

#16 Post by Vic Skirmants »

There are definitely two different lengths; don't know why.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#17 Post by Greg Bryan »

The shorter one is about 12 or 13 mm less consistently
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Greg Bryan

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#18 Post by Greg Bryan »

Notice the tach cable hole is much closer to the mounting surface
The mounting flange is simpler without the cutout
Also, notice how carefully I cleaned them before taking the pics!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpeg
Greg Bryan

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#19 Post by Greg Bryan »

Appears to be 14mm shorter
Attachments
image.jpeg
Greg Bryan

jim saunders
356 Fan

#20 Post by jim saunders »

Thanks John and Greg for the photos. Very interesting. A shame we can't reference an original car to see how it should be.
It seems the problem lies with the hole in the Hanger being in the wrong place for the Tach cable .
My car [not together] has an electronic Tach, so hopefully I won't have this problem.
I cannot work out how the shorter Hanger would work.
If the Exhaust Muffler sits parallel with the rear of the Crankcase, how can it ?
If the normal length Hanger is mounted to the case, with its spacer, a Shorter Hanger cannot work without longer spacers.
With longer spacers the studs won't be long enough. And the longer spacers would defeat the object anyway.
The only way I can see this setup 'working' would be to mount the normal Hanger without spacers. Use the short Hanger with spacers.Then the surface that the Muffler mounts on would be parallel.
But it would give the same result as using normal Hangers without spacers. [ I'm assuming the spacers are 14mm, sorry I don't actually have any spacers ]
And wouldn't this mean the Muffler is too close to the crankcase ?
It seems strange that the Factory sculpted/designed the mounting hole part of the normal Hangers, and on the shorter Hanger it's just straight.
It almost looks like a modification done to an original, to me.
But if Vic has seen these short Hangers over time, it must have been done in some production.
But no part numbers for the short Hanger.
Really strange. If the problem is indeed with the hole for the Tach cable being in the wrong place, why not just enlarge the hole ?
A shame we can't reference original cars. Anyone ?
Thanks, jim

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#21 Post by Greg Bryan »

I plan, as you say, to mount the longer one on the left side without a spacer where there is no interference and the shorter one on the right with 14 mm spacers to get it above the oil galley.
That should make it even and the muffler will be spaced about right from the motor. I was running the system with just the left side longer bracket without spacers with no problems. There's plenty of wiggle room with the muffler I installation.
Edit - I will not use the messy washer and too long studs in the final iteration!
Attachments
image.jpeg
Greg Bryan

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#22 Post by Jim Nelson »

This should help some: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38921

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#23 Post by Greg Bryan »

I looked in the thread that Jim references above and the mounting bracket appears to be like the shorter one in my picture above. The engine mount side has the squared flange rather than the relieved flange of the longer one. The relief in the longer one allows it to almost fit the right side without the spacer, fitting around the jutting oil galley.
IMG_0020[1].JPG
IMG_0020[1].JPG (36.65 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
Notice the straight edged flange between the bolts as opposed to the relieved one on the longer one. The hole for the tach cable lines up perfectly here and it also lines up when the relived flange is mounted without a spacer. I'm surmising that the longer bracket was later than the one shown above and that spacers were not used. note the 912 parts book diagram - no spacers ... Also, by continuing to provide the tach cable hole in the later bracket (which you can see in the 912 diagram), it superseded the earlier bracket which was no longer made. All theoretical of course ...
912 muff.PNG
Greg Bryan

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#24 Post by Brad Ripley »

For what its worth, the currently available part from Porsche is p/n http://www.stoddard.com/61611150301grv.html

Measurements in the photo below are for the above part -- in stock, about $102 each.
Attachments
EuroMuffler bracket.jpg