Wood wheel on eBay

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Bil Brown
356 Fan

Wood wheel on eBay

#1 Post by Bil Brown »

There`s a wood wheel on ebay being described as an original 16.5" VDM wood wheel for 356A cars. I challenged the lister as to its authenticity, and he defended his position. Take a look, all you wheel guys, and let me know what ya think. I told him it`s a Saab Monte Carlo 750/850GT wheel, which are dished about 1 1/2". Item # 120837092838....or....type in "porsche 356 wood wheel".....it`s the most expensive one listed....at $3350! I think he`s fooled by the 2 grooves on the face of the wood, and the slots are shaped different from the flat VDM......bb
Bill Brown

Joris Koning
356 Fan

Re: Wood wheel on eBay

#2 Post by Joris Koning »

Bill,

I had the exact same discussion with the seller. He also has the wheel listed here in the classifieds. I told him it was a Saab wheel and asked him what proof he has that it was made by VDM, no response.....

He also has a supposedly NOS Nardi horn button listed in the classifieds. However it is one of the current reproductions. All i can say is buyer beware!!
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

leva duell

#3 Post by leva duell »

Non sens I have send on both "Trouble makers" pictures of the original steering wheel while still having the old varnish and original not polished frame and hub + the original 1954 Centromatic Mariani watch which came with was placed on center of the steering wheel.

A saab steering wheel might look same but the hug and top ring are different.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#4 Post by Joris Koning »

Leva,

Thank you for the nice compliment!

My questions remain the same. Please provide me with any proof you have that Porsche installed these steering wheels on any 356. The same goes for any proof you have that the wheel was manufactured by VDM.

Best regards and best wishes for 2012,

Joris
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#5 Post by Joris Koning »

leva duell wrote:Non sens I have send on both "Trouble makers" pictures of the original steering wheel
I never received those pictures! Please do send
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bil Brown »

Here`s some pics of the 2 Saab Monte wheels I also have. Of course the hubs are different, and they can easily be removed/exchanged. I`ve converted a number of these wheels for 356 cars, 356A and B/C cars, but ALWAYS list them as converted wheels. The quality of these wheels is on par with the Nardis and VDM wheels of the period, they are beautiful wheels.....but are SAAB wheels. I don`t know who manufactured these wheels, there are NO markings anywhere on the wheels or hubs. I would be curious to know who made these wheels for SAAB.....and who did the wood on the factory 356A VDM wood wheels.
Attachments
SAM_0857.JPG
SAM_0860.JPG
SAM_0861.JPG
SAM_0858.JPG
Bill Brown

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#7 Post by Roy Lock »

Joris Koning wrote:Bill,
He also has a supposedly NOS Nardi horn button listed in the classifieds. However it is one of the current reproductions. All i can say is buyer beware!!
Joris, you and I are in complete agreement here.

There seems to differenting opinions about the definition of "NOS" as I recalled the horn buttons were advertised as NOS.

To me, NOS means made in the period by the factory/OEM. In my opinion, NOS IS NOT made by the reproducer/OEM yesterday.

If it was priced appropriately, I don't think most folks would hold to hard a line On the definition. But if the asking price is out of line, that is when we should all take a hard look and as Bill has done, question the authenticity of the product.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Frederic Prince
356 Fan

#8 Post by Frederic Prince »

leva duell wrote:Non sens I have send on both "Trouble makers" pictures of the original steering wheel while still having the old varnish and original not polished frame and hub + the original 1954 Centromatic Mariani watch which came with was placed on center of the steering wheel.

A saab steering wheel might look same but the hug and top ring are different.
Sorry , some have nothing else to do than to make them self as "Wichtigmacher" and " Besserwisser"
just post the pics HERE to prove what you're saying about the authenticity of the wheel ;)

Just say
it's not true
without any other explanation is not very convincing :)

fred ;)©

P.S.
by the way, are VDM wheels stamped or engraved somewhere ?
1991 - 1993 - 2,7 Targa
2004 - 2013 - 993 Targa
2015 - 2016 3,2 Targa '84
2008...356 roadster T5 S90
2013...2,4 E 72 Sunroof under restoration
2016...3,2 Targa '86
2018...3,2 Speedster '89

Jesse Rodriguez
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jesse Rodriguez »

HAPPY NEW YEARS GENTS & LADIES:
I spoke with Mr. Duell about his "VDM" wheel listed for sale in our website.
I inquired of him as to whether or not there was any marking(s) or engraving inside the hub, like VDM inside a small triangle and some #s either under it or next to it.
Mr. Duell informed me that those markings are usually found in wheels recently manufactured and not on the older original wheels and that his wheeel came off a 1955 coupe out of Argentina.
Please keep in mind that I not an expert. However, according to my limited research of original VDM Carrera wheels and the ones that were specially order for other cars and my past and present ownership of two original VDM Carrera wheels for a 1956 GS & 1959 S/R coupe, they all have VDM in a small triangle and numbers engraved inside the hub.
Regards to all,
jesse

Charlie White
356 Fan

#10 Post by Charlie White »

Sounds like there is big money involved here. If the wheel is what the seller claims, big money. If not, no big money. The seller then has no incentive to say anything but what he has already said.

CW
Charlie White

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#11 Post by Bil Brown »

Mr. Duell......you say in your previous post that you "have send both Troublemakers pictures". I did not receive any pictures from you.....and either has Joris! Just post them here for all to see....Bill
Bill Brown

leva duell

#12 Post by leva duell »

In Reply to Bill Brown alias Ebay: 356agarage

I have sent you pictures of the restoration of the steering wheel today
Tuesday January 03, 2012 10.33 AM via Ebay e-mail forwarding system.
AS I can see on your last Ebay feedback , you have purchased a similar steering wheel

Item number:230702445387 Nov 22, 201116:50:32 PST
Saab Vintage Monte Carlo Steering Wheel

It might look similar but not as my Porsche 356A steering wheel.

I am a Ebay Top Rated Power Seller with 100 % Positive feedback with all details feedback rating of 5.0 on 5.0 except shipping cost 4.9 on 5.0 which is the highest on Ebay .
I sell worldwide the most expensive and rarest steering wheels.
see my website www.wood-steering-wheels.com

The steering wheel in question is placed with 50 pictures on my website and on ebay
see http://wood-steering-wheels.com/origina ... vdm-po-32/.

If someone think that this steering wheel is not a VDM , I cannot help.

This steering wheel is a Work of Art
Leva Duell

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#13 Post by Barry Brisco »

To everyone in this topic: you are welcome to disagree as long as you do so in a courteous, or at leave civil, manner. Posts that violate 356Talk rules against personal attacks and abusive language will be removed.

Thank you all for your cooperation.

Any questions about this please contact me directly. Please do not start a discussion in this topic about the 356Talk rules.

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#14 Post by Joris Koning »

Leva,

I checked out your web site. You have some beautifull wood steering wheels for sale, no question about that. Of the wheels you currently have for sale none of them were ever fitted by the factory to a 356 when new. They are all what I would call aftermarket steering wheels. Most of them, in my opinion, are also not period aftermarket wheels. However, I will leave the exact judgement on that to someone who has more knowledge about aftermarket Nardi wheels than I have.

All Bill and I have done is challenge you on the description of your steering wheel in a civil way. Apparently you are not able to respond to us in a civil way. So far I have not seen any evidence from your side that this steering wheel was made by VDM and delivered by the factory on a 356. Your hostile reaction leads me to believe that you know exactly what Bill and I are talking about.

Best regard,

Joris
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

leva duell

#15 Post by leva duell »

Evidences ? of what ? I am selling an original steering wheel for a Porsche 356A , Your friend Bill is purchasing Saab steering wheels , certainly not to place on Saab.

You are Competitors and just try to make trouble.

I never said that this steering wheel was fitted from new on a Porsche 356A or that it was a Factory fitted steering wheel and I do not have to prove anything , I certainly did not make that steering wheel myself.
Both you and your friend Bill are turning thing around to make trouble.
Take it as it is , VDM - not VDM - Made by Mickey Mouse ? I don't think so.

Someone will like it and will buy it as all other steering wheels I have had for sell.