Wood wheel on eBay

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Michael Doyle
356 Fan

Re: Wood wheel on eBay

#76 Post by Michael Doyle »

Charlie White wrote:http://www.thyssenkrupp-vdm-usa.com/web ... dex-1.html

VDM still exists as part of the German Company ThyssenKrupp. Those of you know Germany history know the name Krupp, a major German arms supplier throughout German history.

CW
Thanks Charlie for the information about VDM still being in business. An old long time German company that's still around.

It fits in with my previous thought though about new "Reproduction" wood steering wheels being made with a "VDM" stamp inside them. The "real VDM" of today didn't do those stamps. So what can you fairly call these Repo's.? Is Fake to harsh? ...probably, but I don't know. Well intended...yes. Are they in a "Tribute" type of category? I would say so.

I think Steve Shea said something about a whole "cottage industry" of steering wheels these days. With that, there are some very-very nice reproduction wheels being made. But the genuine ones, those that "VDM" did a "Real" company stamp on, are the true originals.

Michael

steve shea
356 Fan

#77 Post by steve shea »

It is easy, A steering wheel represented as original which clearly is not is a fake! A steeringwheel represented as as copy or repro and sold as such is a repro.
steve shea

Mike Lempert
356 Fan

#78 Post by Mike Lempert »

Wow, great thread. I could write for hours about Leva, where do I start? How about knowing that Leva is a she, not he. How about her other ebay IDs, or maybe her real name? Want to know about her many other scams? How she scams through PayPal, or how about how ebay and PayPal both protect her?

A few words about civility... It is nearly impossible to hold a civil discussion with this vulgar and obscene person; you've seen some of that already, and in fact, it is her tactic. And she knows all too well that she can shut this thread down by being offensive, thus also silencing what she doesn't want exposed. Mr. Moderator, don't let that happen. This thread is for the good of this enthusiast group and all others that might find it through a search, like I did.

Now, really, where do I start?
Mike Lempert
http://www.lempertwheels.com

Mike Lempert
356 Fan

#79 Post by Mike Lempert »

I'm very surprised no one has taken me up on this since there was such energy in exposing her fraud. She knows exactly what she's doing, and her insults are just her way of trying to deflect attention. She has a trail of victims throughout the US and Europe, many of which are sellers that she scammed with the help of PayPal, but she uses different IDs for that and keeps her feedback private. She has violations of ebay policy in her current sale items, yet ebay does nothing to stop it. I feel bad for the people who do believe her and spend large amounts of money on things that aren't what they think.
Mike Lempert

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#80 Post by Steve Harrison »

Looks like Leva,.
has Leftus

Eric Linden
356 Fan

#81 Post by Eric Linden »

I've also been watching this thread with interest, and there is indeed quite a bit out there on the internet if you do a search. I was approached by Leva about a year ago (maybe less) on a wheel that I had for sale on ebay,... horrible discussion lots of ridicule from her end. So, I did a search and found out quite a bit.

Recently, due to this thread, I did a search on her main ebay user name through an ebay search engine that I pay a subscription for. It allows me to go back one year and look at total sales by quarter. Roughly it averages $19,000 to $22,500. The total for the last year (12 months searched back from this date) is roughly $82,000. Note that this might include a few watches (also repro's?), but not a significant amount of dollar value sales.

$80K is a pretty significant incentive to keep doing what you're doing....

Eric
356 Registry member since 1985
SOTERIK on Early S Registry
www.autoforeignservices.com
57 Speedster
59 A cab project, rudge wheels, bench seat
1968 911L factory rally car ordered new by my father
bunch of 911S's and 912's...

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#82 Post by Joris Koning »

I think it is well proven by now that Leva is not to be trusted. Let's hope that when people are thinking about bidding on one of her steering wheels on e-bay they do do some due dilligence and find this post.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Mike Lempert
356 Fan

#83 Post by Mike Lempert »

It doesn't take much to provoke a response from me. Eric: Realize also that much of her sales is outside of ebay. She openly invites people to purchase behind the scenes and ebay allow it. In fact, ebay allows her to advertise her business website in her auctions. That is a violation of ebay rules, but they allow. And it isn't like they don't know about it, I've reported numerous times and they just ignore. Look at this current example where there she advertises her website in the red banner. http://www.ebay.com/itm/350543507777?ss ... 1438.l2649 Maybe if enough people reported it? And for your information, any of you who sell items like Mr. Linden might like to know her other IDs The ones I know about are claudia9234, five-star-web-design, handenstand, lieve58, rima-beach-wear, wood-steering-wheels. but there may be others. You'll find her feedback private on all but the one she sells from, and for good reason. At least one of them uses her real name, Anne Notebaert.
Mike Lempert

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#84 Post by Bil Brown »

Mike......thanks for adding valuable information to this topic. You`ve probably got more experience with this person than most, and I appreciate your contribution to this forum .....Bill Brown
Bill Brown

steve shea
356 Fan

#85 Post by steve shea »

If anyone is interested, there is an excellent photo of a VDM GT flat wheel on pg57 of Leffingwell's Porsche Legends book. It clearly shows the contrasting wood between the grooves. I have also seen originals without the contrasting wood. Either way that is the joint where the 1/4 round is glued in. On many of the originals there is a circumferential crack or delamination at this joint. I have repaired a few and the construction is always the same. Also the number of laminations has always been the same on the wheels I have worked with. IMHO this is the coolest wood wheel to have for an A car because it was offered by Porsche and is drop dead gorgeous. SS
steve shea

Mike Lempert
356 Fan

#86 Post by Mike Lempert »

Steve: Is there any chance of posting that picture? I have a wheel on its way to me now, but I don't think it has contrasting wood. I will be examining this wheel and measuring for accurate replication. I'd be real curious if there were different methods. If there was a contrasting strip in between the grooves, it might indicate a different construction approach and may not have the lamination line in the middle.

On the other subject of Leva, I have noticed that her banner has been removed from the sale I listed above. Perhaps some of you also reported it? If that's the case, ebay obviously only did what little they had to as many of her other sales still have her advertising. See here two more where she clearly violates ebay policy with outside links - banner in red (and by the way, it is also prohibited to have an outside web address as part of a store name and ebay ID - she has both):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120871350180?ss ... 1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350544682952?ss ... 1438.l2649
Mike Lempert

steve shea
356 Fan

#87 Post by steve shea »

Mike, sorry can't post photo. The lamination is always there. I've repaired wheels with and without the contrasting wood and the crack/delam has always been between the grooves on the ones I have done. I have also seen a partial delam on original unrestored VDMs at the same spot. My original has a slight contrast, not as dark as in the photo. Interestingly, I have never seen an oiled, dark wood version that apparently exists. On all the cars that come through Rennwagen and that I've seen at shows etc, never seen the oiled one. Anyone got an original?
steve shea

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#88 Post by Joris Koning »

steve shea wrote:On all the cars that come through Rennwagen and that I've seen at shows etc, never seen the oiled one. Anyone got an original?
Steve, same observation here. I have never seen any evidence that they were made by VDM
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#89 Post by Joris Koning »

I found this today while searching the web. It makes for a very interesting and entertaining read. Please be sure to read everything. It will show you that Leva or whatever her name is, is good at switching around hubs. Additionaly she should write a book about customer service!

http://b20no2959.wordpress.com/2011/02/ ... -you-meet/
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#90 Post by Roy Lock »

As we all know, Leva advertised on the 356Talk forum for well over a year. She(?) sold wheels to our members and others. A few folks grumbled privately about her and her tactics. It was always amusing how her English was always broken when posting, however was perfect when replying in PM's.
So, what is the point of my positng. Just to say that no matter where you look, there are always unscrupious individuals all too egar to take you money. No matter where you shop, eBay, Craig's List, or our 356Talk forum, it is always buyers beware and due diligence must be performed. We can not go by slick websites or heresay. You as the buyer must aways do your homework.
Sometimes even your friends are not your friends, especially if there is a lot of money involved. Trust your instincts and not your friends.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky"