Hood Handle Badges - Descriptions/Values?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

Hood Handle Badges - Descriptions/Values?

#1 Post by George Bryan »

I am asking about hood handle badges as far as descriptions & values. I looked at a sample of 3 offered by a seller on our classifieds and see that they are identified as PRE A Reutter. I am by no means a 'badge' expert, so would appreciate some information from the group who are.

I know there are markings on most items, such as B/C hood handles made by Huf. For hood handle badges I've seen from PreA thru C they are held on by by a spring plate type attaching piece, not a speed nut like that used on hubcaps. Is that correct?

Another does not have a stud to attach it, yet is marked PreA. I didnt think the early ones attached with adhesive...did they? Hood handle badges were not used until laate 54 & then from 55 on in full production?

What is the marker on the badge signify with the R in the circle? The manufacturer...maybe Reutter?

Also, there are multiple type of tags & stickers Porsche used to tag parts over decades. Does an incorrect later style badge in a way later tagged bag, (with 644 part number) make it 'correct' old stock? Then the conclusion is the dimpled red cloissonne crest it is not right for the car even if in an "original" bag...yes/no?

Just looking at advertising correctness. Are these prices in line if truly 'rare' ($500/$475/$100)?

Thanks,
George

NOTE: Since I posted this question one ad has been pulled and another reworded and price lowered. I still think the questions should be answered to help us understand badges better. Thanks. GB

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

Re: Hood Handle Badges - Descriptions/Values?

#2 Post by Paul Hatfield »

George-
Try reading page 4 of the "Original vs Repro" string here in the originality section. Gives a little more background on the crests. Here it is: http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/t ... l&start=45

Take care buddy!

Paul
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Roy Lock
356 Fan

Re: Hood Handle Badges - Descriptions/Values?

#3 Post by Roy Lock »

There was another version of the badge. This version has a clear coating over a pebble finished red. That version is very similar to the modern style of the badge. It was sold in the late 70's through the 80's. I believe you can still find those badges for very cheap since they do not have the period correct appearance.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky"