Correct place for rear backing light switch fixture

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Aki Ruohonen
356 Fan

Correct place for rear backing light switch fixture

#1 Post by Aki Ruohonen »

Hi,

the topic says the main point, any measurement where to weld this part inside the tunnel of the '54 prea coupe?

br,
Aki

roy mawbey
356 Fan

Re: Correct place for rear backing light switch fixture

#2 Post by roy mawbey »

Aki,

I believe the 'back up light switch' for the pre-a and the 'A' are the same. On my 'A' I replaced my switch in the tunnel some time ago. Maybe the postion is the same as for the pre-A as the method of switching must be the same:

The 25mm approx diameter 'shift rod' which connects to the gearshift lever assembly and runs through the tunnel to the rear connection under the inspection cover is the item that makes the switch work. As you put the gear shift lever into 'reverse' position the shift rod moves across the tunnel and depresses the aluminium cover of the switch to make the contact. On my A there is a plate with 2 tapped holes to affix the switch to. The dimensions I don't have but you can see the switch on the photo with the 2 grey / brown stripe wires going into it. ( do you have the tapped holes ?)

I can't see the switch fixing plate on your photo, if you had to fabricate this you would need the switch and the stick in reverse to work out where to position the switch. ( To much contact and I guess the shift rod would break the switch.)
2008_1027switchchange0031.JPG
Roy
RHD356A super75 106954
ROY ALAN MAWBEY

roy mawbey
356 Fan

#3 Post by roy mawbey »

Aki,

I found another photo that I took. This shows a plate that accepts the back up switch. This plate is welded to the gear shift box area. If you look you will see its not welded to the side of the tunnel. You can see the plate its at an angle as I had moved the assembly.
2008_1027switchchange0034.JPG
Roy
RHD356Asuper75 106954.
ROY ALAN MAWBEY

Mark Cohn
356 Fan

#4 Post by Mark Cohn »

Interesting. Unfortunately I can't get to my car to take a photo right now, but I believe the setup in your car is like mine where the reverse light switch is nearly the same as the starter button and mounts to a simple flange in the tunnel. I will try to move a few things so I can open a door and take a shot. I don't know when the setup was changed to the aluminum covered button mounted on the shifter plate.

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Karaba »

Mark is right about the button being the same as the starter button on the dash. The main difference is that it is a black button rather than ivory. It's not the same as Roy's A car. Pictured is the difference between the two. The A tunnel is an original and the Pre-A style tunnel is a reproduction that I had modified for the A speedster I restored. I don't know if the placement for the bracket is correct in the pre-A tunnel so I would wait for someone to provide measurements from their pre-A.
Attachments
tunnel view.jpg

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#6 Post by Phil Planck »

Note that the PreA reverse light switch bracket is prone to bending over time(like 40 or 50 years). I would take the time to "reinforce" it some how to make it a little stronger in the direction that the button is pushed.
Phil Planck

Aki Ruohonen
356 Fan

#7 Post by Aki Ruohonen »

Thanks everyone for replying to this. It seems that there is a difference in this between the A and pre-A cars. Actual measurements would be great if anyone has them. Given the general idea and the flexibility of the bracket (great idea to reinforce it a bit, thanks Phil!) it should work if it close enough to correct place. However as I do not have gearbox (nor connecting rod) in the car at the moment some measuments would help to ensure the correct place.

br,
Aki

roy mawbey
356 Fan

#8 Post by roy mawbey »

Its clear the fixment of the switch in the tunnel is different and it looks also like the switch is also different.
The Stoddard switch item that I bought ( which works perfectly ) is shown in their catalog I have to be suitable for both 356 and 356A. Its not like the pre-a starter switch. Maybe someone can say where they bought their pre-a version switch. Its important to have the corect height version if the plate is welded in position.

I had to modify my one slightly for wire entry and its not as original with bullet connectors. ( the original is on the right side of the photo )
2008_1027switchchange0037.JPG
Roy
RHD356Asuper75 106954
ROY ALAN MAWBEY

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#9 Post by Steve Harrison »

Hello Aki,

The Pre A changed at some point from the "starter button" style switch to the later A model type switch with the mushroom cap. My car (Mid production 55) has the later style as the original installation. I guess you'll have to decide or determine which one you're going with because I'll bet the bracket position is different,...but it might not be,..who know's with pre a's?
Just so you have all the options open, here is a link to an ebay auction of one of the early original switches. The later ones seem to be available repro.http://www.ebay.com/itm/180730526972?ss ... 1423.l2649

Good luck.

Steve

Aki Ruohonen
356 Fan

#10 Post by Aki Ruohonen »

Thanks Steve, I'll use the early one as I have the fixture from the original floorpan (see the picture of the first post) and I think I have the switch as well.

br,
Aki

EDIT: I did try to figure out the place from picture above - would this roughly in the right ballpark? Given the threads are 8mm and photo is taken in slight angle, would this guestimate be about right?
Steve Harrison wrote:Hello Aki,

The Pre A changed at some point from the "starter button" style switch to the later A model type switch with the mushroom cap. My car (Mid production 55) has the later style as the original installation. I guess you'll have to decide or determine which one you're going with because I'll bet the bracket position is different,...but it might not be,..who know's with pre a's?
Just so you have all the options open, here is a link to an ebay auction of one of the early original switches. The later ones seem to be available repro.http://www.ebay.com/itm/180730526972?ss ... 1423.l2649

Good luck.

Steve
Attachments
tunnel view2_1.jpg

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#11 Post by Phil Planck »

53248 has the older style(starter button) switch.
Phil Planck