Verification Of Sheetments Finishing

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Nathan Ward
356 Fan

Verification Of Sheetments Finishing

#1 Post by Nathan Ward »

Hiya,

Could somone confirm the sheetmetal finishing is done correctly on this piece?

'57 356 coupe

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
What goes in the hole in the heating system as it goes through the channel,  and are those rivet holes supposed to go there?
What goes in the hole in the heating system as it goes through the channel, and are those rivet holes supposed to go there?
The portion under the five rib panel (It is simply bent over)<br />Is this how it was finished from the factory?<br />Bottom right of photo
The portion under the five rib panel (It is simply bent over)
Is this how it was finished from the factory?
Bottom right of photo

David Gensler
356 Fan

Re: Verification Of Sheetments Finishing

#3 Post by David Gensler »

Nathan,
The large round hole opening into the heat channel is where the vent door goes. This is a round metal plate, with an operating mechanism (shaft, knob, locking collar) to allow it to be opened or closed from the passenger compartment.

The four small holes (what I think you reference as rivet holes) midway between the hinge brackets should not be there.

David Gensler
David Gensler

Nathan Ward
356 Fan

#4 Post by Nathan Ward »

Thanks for the replies!

So it looks like the five ribbed panel is 'finished' correctly on the bottom and I need to do some research on the heater vent door.

Also, the sheetmetal guru working on the car is concerned about the jack mounting plates? I know that the general rule is not to actualy use them if they are installed but I would either like to reinforoce them as there is nothing directly under them in the longitudinals (has this been done by somone?) or omit them to keep the lines clean but this would detract from an otherwise concours car. Any suggestions?

Also, I have two small holes on the top of the front left fender that are obviously for a mirror. Were these only installed on the carreras? My car is not a carerra but would like to keep the mirror there, just not sure if it was stock.

Thanks again!

Nathan

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#5 Post by Larry Coreth »

This what belongs in the hole in the forward door jam
Attachments
3256A Vents.jpg
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Nathan Ward
356 Fan

#6 Post by Nathan Ward »

Larry Coreth wrote:This what belongs in the hole in the forward door jam
Thanks Alain, David and Larry, that sure helps!

I wonder what they had in those 4 rivet holes, they are exactly the same half way between the hinge brackets on both sides. I was actually refering to the rivet holes around the heater vent hole which are obviously not supposed to be there either.

Now just to figure out the mirror holes on the font fender and the jack spur mounting reinforcements.

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#7 Post by Larry Coreth »

In my experience the jack receivers are perfectly safe if you know they are not rusty and you use a good factory jack. Putting a floor jack under them is a NO-NO as this will tend to crush the underside of the receiver re-enforcement, Obviously with new longitudinals in place there should be no rust. Back in the day I used the factory jack all the time and have on my Speedster recently to change a tire on the road, knowing of course that during restoration in 1984 the longitudinals and the receivers were replaced.
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

David Gensler
356 Fan

#8 Post by David Gensler »

Nathan,
I missed the rivet holes around the perimeter of the vent door opening in your photo. They should not be theer. Logical assumption is that somebody lost the vent door parts for your car, and just riveted a piece of tin in place to cover the opening. You could weld them up, but they appear to be in the area that gets the round foam seal so they would get covered up anyway.

The four larger holes between the door hinges open into the warm air ducting, so you should probably plug them up somehow.

Your car should have the 2 rearmost heater tube supports paired directly under the jack receiver, strengthening the area and helping prevent distortion.
David Gensler

Nathan Ward
356 Fan

#9 Post by Nathan Ward »

Thanks David,

Can anyone comment on if it is possible that my late '57A coupe 1600N was fitted with a mirror on the drivers side fender?

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#10 Post by Barry Brisco »

Nathan Ward wrote:Can anyone comment on if it is possible that my late '57A coupe 1600N was fitted with a mirror on the drivers side fender?
Hi Nathan,

Side mirrors were sometimes mounted on the fenders, not on the doors, so it is certainly "possible", unless you have your fenders down to bare metal and see no signs of holes or repaired holes.

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Nathan Ward
356 Fan

#11 Post by Nathan Ward »

No, there are definately holes in the fender and none in the doors. What would the 'style' of mirror be?

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#12 Post by Tom Tate »

Side mirrors were dealer installed due to different requirements in different countries. Unless there was a notation on the Kardex I'd say the style was whatever the dealer had in stock. There is a very low mileage '56 A here in the northeast that was delivered through a Buick dealer that had a Buick mirror nailed to the drivers door. Looks strange but makes a great story. KTF