Speedster Top

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Joris Schweitzer
356 Fan

Speedster Top

#1 Post by Joris Schweitzer »

Who can help me with an authenticity question?

Based on factory and period pictures I think I can carefully conclude that High Bow Speedster tops did not have seams at 1/3 off the side of the car in the driving direction like cabrios, conv D's and roadsters have.

Speedster 1 has them and I believe, I have also seen original Pre A's and maybe T1's with them.

An upholsterer in Europe insists these seams need to be on a T2 top as well. I can't find any evidence of this. Can anybody help me?

The seams: (see white Speedster)

http://www.cabrio.de/khm/index.php?page ... =9&lang=de

Thanks!

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

Re: Speedster Top

#2 Post by Greg Scallon »

Edwin,
For what it's worth, here is the one period photo I have of a '58 speedster. It's low-res and therefore a bit hard to see, but it looks like the seams you mention are not present.

Best regards,
-Greg
Attachments
img036.jpg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#3 Post by Tom Scott »

All original Speedsters I have seen had the two seams at the rear.
Here are photos of a Speedster top which was made using an original top. It is for a T1 and the rear window is smaller than T2.

Tom Scott
Attachments
DSCN0087.JPG
DSCN0088.JPG
DSCN0088.JPG

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#4 Post by Tom Scott »

I have been advised, by a very relaible source, that this is the original top for this 1957 T2 Speedster.

Tom
Attachments
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG

Joris Schweitzer
356 Fan

#5 Post by Joris Schweitzer »

Tom, are you referring to the two seams that follow the rear bow and cowl?
I see none of these tops have the two seams in the driving direction of the car.
Does anybody have a period picture with these seams... I.e. Can it at least be proven that there was more than one version?
Tx

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#6 Post by Tom Scott »

Edwin, If you look closely at the blue Speedster you will see two seams. These follow the line created by the top frame, unlike what one of the more well kmown upholostery shops in California does. I have an original top and it has two seams and I am certain that there were never two versions of the top. Look in the parts manual for 356A and you will find a drawing of the stitching on the top.

Tom

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Scallon »

Tom,
Edwin may also be interested in the two vertical seams you're focused on but if you go back to his original post and click the link provided you'll see that his original question was about a very obvious seam on the top of the top, oriented in the driving direction of the car. That's the one that I think we can all agree shouldn't be there on a T-2 speedster.

Best,
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Mike Vollmer
356 Fan

#8 Post by Mike Vollmer »

Looking at Steve Heinichs book Speedster typ 540 the 1st speedster 80002 had them and later in the book the 1st to enter the US in 1954 had the seam, showed a 1956 with no seam.

Joris Schweitzer
356 Fan

#9 Post by Joris Schweitzer »

Mike as I mentioned in the post that started this this thread, I think you are correct, number 1 had indeed the two seams. I have seen a period picture with a pre a that had them too.

The question is indeed; did T2's ever have them? It would take only one period / factory picture with a top with seams on it and one would not be able to say they never had them. As mentioned, I have not been able to find one.
The upholsterer is a big one in Europe. In a discussion on this with the owner, he mentioned that his patterns were made of an original top.
Whatever happened with his patterns, I think this cannot be correct. His shop delivers good craftmenship but, as with many European professionals, authenticity is not a priority. Little research is done. An often used argument when diverting from the original is "Porsche used whatever parts were available". This is only true to some extend.

Back to the top. It would be really good if we could define the chronology of the patterns. As with all parts, imho, only period pictures or physical samples on a car with a known history are valid.

Based on the above it would indeed seem T2's did not have the seams. More data points would be nice.... Anybody?

Anybody out there with period pics or other evidence of the seams on earlier cars?

Thanks for all your help.

Jordan Bochanis
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jordan Bochanis »

This is the original top to my 1958 Speedster...

Joris Schweitzer
356 Fan

#11 Post by Joris Schweitzer »

Hi Jordan,
Thanks for another data point confirming the absence of the seams.

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#12 Post by Tom Scott »

Jordan, would you please take a couple of close up, side view, photos of the rear seams and display these on this thread?
Of particular interest in the one photo above is the larger size of the rear window for T2 Speedsters, compare this to the T1 photos of the blue Speedster above. Also note the curved shape of the sides of the window, it is not symetrical but rather has a smaller arc at the bottom.
Tom

Jordan Bochanis
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jordan Bochanis »

Tom, these were taken a few years back when the car was undergoing restoration. Here's the only other photos I have of the top that might show those seams...Image