Carrera wiring harness in a 5/7/57 speedster

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

Carrera wiring harness in a 5/7/57 speedster

#1 Post by JERRY LANDES »

I was contacted by Gene at YNZ's yesterday on the estimate for restoring my wiring harness. Because it had silver cloth and silver plastic he believes the car was originally a carrera speedster that they pulled off of the line and sold as pushrod car. To restore the harness with silver costs several hundred dollars more and although original to the car is not really the correct black that a pushrod car had. The harness is different in other ways especially for the dimmer switch. He says that after March 57 all the cars came with the same wiring configuration as the carrera.
In any in case what do you guys think? Is it worth it to spend the money for the bragging rights of (my car started as a carrera), or since it was originally silver it should stay that way or just shut up spend less money and forget about it.
Although I have almost worn out my binder from Joe L. after listening to Gene about the diffences in the wiring harness's down to what bullets were there or not etc. etc. There seems to be changes every year.We all need to contact Gene and get him to write an article to save in the registry.

Jerry Landes

Adam Johnson
356 Fan

Re: Carrera wiring harness in a 5/7/57 speedster

#2 Post by Adam Johnson »

Like this fuel sender wiring harness?
Attachments
fuel sender wiring harness.jpg
Adam Johnson

JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

#3 Post by JERRY LANDES »

The plastic is definitely the same color silver as all the plastic on mine.
Jerry

Rainer Cooney
356 Fan

#4 Post by Rainer Cooney »

A number of normal non Carrera 57's came with the silver woven harness. I just delivered one from my shop to its owner yesterday. I can't imagine that there is any advantage of it over the black plastic except for originality.