Jack receivers

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Jack receivers

#1 Post by Brad Ripley »

Question came up today about which type of jack receiver is correct for which car.
See illustration below.
The car in question was a late 356B T-6 Karmann coupe. Brett Johnson lists only the following six chassis numbers:

pinch weld type:
Karmann 213720
Reutter 124562
Cabrio 159144

lap weld type:
Karmann 215050
Reutter 126711
Cabrio 159144

I hope some listers can crawl under and submit chassis number, jack receiver type and mfg'r date if known. Best this be on unrestored original cars. Thanks in advance. I will report findings.
Attachments
Jack receivers.jpg

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

Re: Jack receivers

#2 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Pinch weld on Cabriolet 155643. They get used to jack up the car, too.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

Re: Jack receivers

#3 Post by Bruce Baker »

OK, I'm sure everyone ran to their parts manuals to see what's what in this burning topic. OK, at least I did.

Before checking, I remarked to Brad personally- let's assume the pinchweld versions were installed through T-5 and the overlapped versions were for T-6 bodies. That's been my restoration simplification for almost 40 years if an original is not present when I get a 356 for rust repair. (and I used to need to fabricate my own, pre-resto sheet metal providers, so overlap was easier to make.)

Ahhh, but that's too easy...so for the sake of confusion, the parts books may shed at least some shades of gray:

Section 5/2 in the early T-6 book shows an un-numbered longitudinal with jack receiver, meaning no change from the previous B parts book (T-5), but at the end of the numbering/descriptive section there is this instructional passage: "Besides the indicated new parts the parts of Illustration 5/2 of the spare parts catalogue 356 B are to be used and namely those with the following Fig. No.:....((a long list....including Fig. No. 28, the jack 'spur' (receiver) shown in the T-5 book)). That addendum is dated VIII 9/64!

Then, Illustration 5/2a A has a numbered longitudinal including a jack receiver, #9, with the suffix .06, that page dated III 8/62 ......huh?

Since Jim's Cab is an early T-6 made in '61, that car got the T-5 B jack receiver left-overs, so typically Porsche.

When the changeover was truly complete may never be known.......likely not even Porsche knew (or cared) between 1961 and 1962. Fifty years later, it's a hot topic......