Rudge wheels, original specs?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
john schwamm
356 Fan

Rudge wheels, original specs?

#1 Post by john schwamm »

Does anyone know if Rudge wheels came in both 4.5" and 5/5" widths? Or are those that are 5.5" converted to wider wheels later? I have found several different sets and am not sure what is correct.
Would it be better to have the 5.5" for better size current tires now? And not take away from authenticity?

Were euro type hex knock off nuts used in U.S. cars? Or just the winged style?

Any info on Rudge wheels is appreciated.
Thanks,
John

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

Re: Rudge wheels, original specs?

#2 Post by Bruce Baker »

The parts book(s) is pretty clear that only 4.5x15 wheels were available but the center caps were either/or with no remarks as to why.

The aftermarket Rudge-looking 5.5x15 wheels won't fit in as a spare.

My Euro delivery S-90 had the eared versions, but I'm sure some country (countries) had a reason to demand the hexagonal version (maybe after watching a Ben Hur movie?)

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dick Roth »

There were no factory made 5 1/2" Rudge wheels from A to B models. The so called German Inland, or home country wheel nuts the lacked spinner ears and were fixed by means of the special wrench were a response to German Law that prohibited them on the grounds that they could injure a pedestrian. Bruce Baker's Ben Hur comment is fairly close to the truth! Really odd was a photo in a period Christophorus that showed an "eared" spinner with a thin circular ring affixed to the ends to prevent them from catching on anything. It resembled a Deluxe Horn Ring. Dick Roth
PS Check out my Speedster in the member's Cars section. It has 5 1/2' Rudge wheels and 185 Michelin XWX with no body alterations. Not factory though...
Right about the spare..

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#4 Post by Edwin Ek »

Dick,

Who made the 5.5's for you?

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dick Roth »

Ed I can give you some useful information later, right now it's too nice a day out! Bes,t Dick

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

I heard that some of Gullwing's had 5.5 Rudges. People over the years may have adapted some of those. I think the holes are slightly different, they kind of elongate out ever so slightly.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dick Roth »

The 300 SL coupe could be ordered with Rudge wheeels as an option, but whatever the width, they are incompatible with Porsche Rudge wheels. Try the web site, German Rudge Wheels if you want to get your juices flowing. They make repro rudge wheels and associated equipment, and are NOT the wheels shown by European Collectibles. They have Very good quality products. Dick R.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#8 Post by Edwin Ek »

Dick,

I'm still interested.

Thanks,
Ed

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dick Roth »

Ed, The 5 1/2" conversion was made by an old Porsche buddy of mine who did the work in the large machine shop of his business. They have been on the car for some 30 years, amazing as that seems, even to me!
Here's what we did; Donor rims were early 911 5 1/2"steel wheels with the centers turned out on a lathe; the centers of the Rudge 4 1/2" wheels were also turned out and the rims discarded. All elements were chromed while apart and then they were welded back together. The outside edge of the wheel and the outside edge of the Rudge center are exactly on the same plane when completed. There have been no problems with either rear wheel clearance relative to the body or the turning circle in the front. The ultimate purist will observe that the rivets holding the wheel center to the Rudge splined hub are chromed too, and of course they were not on the original wheels. So it goes...! Best, Dick Roth

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#10 Post by Edwin Ek »

Dick, sounds like you are saying the extra inch is on the inside. Is that the case with the regular 5.5"'s also?

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dick Roth »

Good question. I will have to check the 4 1/2 against the 5 1/2. I have more than 1 set...

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#12 Post by Bruce Baker »

The original 4.5" Rudge wheels were a 'J' offset. The 5.5" 900-series wheels (available after '67) were a 'J' offset, as well.

(Speaking of '67, that's when I had my B with a bent Rudge wheel. The dealer in Philadelphia said they'd order a replacement from the factory, but it would be $110 and that price made it well beyond my means.)

The German-made repro Rudge sets are 5.5" and the adaptor for the drum acts as a spacer, effectively splitting the difference in and out, making clearance at the rear shock mount a space to observe, especially if balance weights are placed inboard.

BTW, that company will make a 4.5" for a spare (that actually fits), so I would imagine they would make a set for the 4 corners, as well.

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#13 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Edwin Ek wrote:Dick, sounds like you are saying the extra inch is on the inside. Is that the case with the regular 5.5"'s also?
"regular" 15 X 5 1/2 wheels (on 1968 and later 911s and 912s) have 1/2 inch on the inside and 1/2 inch on the outside.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410