Likely an ignorant question

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Kevin Estes
356 Fan

Likely an ignorant question

#1 Post by Kevin Estes »

I am looking for a 356 and I see a few adds that state the "original drain holes" are intact. I am assuming this helps identify that the car has the original sheet metal. Where are the drain holes located and what are they supposed to look like?
Kevin
C Coupe

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

Re: Likely an ignorant question

#2 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Kevin Estes wrote:I am looking for a 356 and I see a few adds that state the "original drain holes" are intact. I am assuming this helps identify that the car has the original sheet metal. Where are the drain holes located and what are they supposed to look like?
I've heard of many ways to describe the condition of 356s but "original drain holes" is a new one. Most 356s with "drain holes" are cars with gaping holes in their pans due to rust.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#3 Post by Barry Brisco »

Kevin, nothing wrong with that question. On a 356, "drain holes" may refer to those present for the optional sunroof, or the holes present in the longitudinal sections (roughly, the "door sills") on Karmann-bodied cars, or the holes on the bottom surface of the doors, or probably other places I can't think of right now or more likely that I am ignorant of. :-)

I understand that you are new to the 356 world and your questions are fine. But I cannot overemphasize the importance of buying and reading cover-to-cover these two books:

Brett Johnson's invaluable book "The 356 Porsche, A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity, Rev. III", at http://www.tpr-inc.com/products/singlei ... mber=75816

"Buying, Driving, and Enjoying the Porsche 356" by Jim Schrager http://www.amazon.com/Buying-Driving-En ... 242&sr=1-1

I would not buy a 356 until you have read those two references.

Good luck,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Bill Block
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bill Block »

Barry

Rather than recomending Amazon at full list price for BUYING, DRIVING & ENJOYING THE PORSCHE 356 -- you might recommend BLOCKS-BOOKS.com ($25.00 + $4.00 shipment) or Gordon Maltby's RPM, the publisher).

bill block

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bruce Baker »

Kevin Estes wrote:I am looking for a 356 and I see a few adds that state the "original drain holes" are intact. I am assuming this helps identify that the car has the original sheet metal. Where are the drain holes located and what are they supposed to look like?
Kevin,
Good that you asked here and now I'd recommend you ask the sellers of those wonderfully holy 356s to describe and/or picture for you those "original drain holes" for the education and/or amusement of the rest of us.....
There are a few models with a reversed slit in the battery box bottom, opened to drain water as the 356 is in a forward motion instead of ingesting it. The Karmann bodies had the most drains, most all up high were sealed off...allegedly by the accountants who realized more retained water would more likely sell more bodies sooner than later.
There also could be confusion in the naming of larger jig alignment (plugged) holes as "drain holes," usually not reproduced in a replacement floor or rear seat bottom metal. This was a Karmann-only body detail distinction. (OK, so later D'Ieteren bodies had a similar underside detail...)
Here is a similar shape, but on an upside-down 911 floor:
IMG_3570.JPG
There are also some photos in the 356 Club (of southern California) article (Volume 27, #2, Summer 2011), Part 1, "Project Notchback," by Mark Fuhrman.

Kevin Estes
356 Fan

#6 Post by Kevin Estes »

Thanks for all the replies. The reference was in an ad I saw online. Maybe ebay. The car was not one I was interested in, so I paid little attention other than trying to learn a bit. Maybe just one seller's idea???

I did get the two books and along with this forum they are extremely helpful.

Here are a few photo of the car I am going to inspect this week. :P
Attachments
356 3.jpg
356 3.jpg (31.17 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
356 1.jpg
356 1.jpg (24.96 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
356 2.jpg
356 2.jpg (28.78 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
Kevin
C Coupe

Tom Perazzo
356 Fan
Tag: It's only metal...

#7 Post by Tom Perazzo »

The seller may be referring to the longitudinal drain holes found on Karmann made cars only. My car has them and its a 64 C VIN #218094. Replacement panels don't have these holes and may indicate that rust work has been done IF car is a "C" Karmann. I added them to my car to be more "authentic". There are few of these dimpled holes at the back of the tunnel too.
tude pics.jpg
tude pics.jpg (4.7 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
And in case you don't know what a longitudinal is...its the sheetmetal piece under the car where the jack spurs attach too.

Good luck with your inspection!

Tom Perazzo
1964 SC Coupe (under restoration)
www.ZalexIndustries.com

Kevin Estes
356 Fan

#8 Post by Kevin Estes »

Tom Perazzo wrote:The seller may be referring to the longitudinal drain holes found on Karmann made cars only. My car has them and its a 64 C VIN #218094. Replacement panels don't have these holes and may indicate that rust work has been done IF car is a "C" Karmann. I added them to my car to be more "authentic". There are few of these dimpled holes at the back of the tunnel too.
tude pics.jpg
And in case you don't know what a longitudinal is...its the sheetmetal piece under the car where the jack spurs attach too.

Good luck with your inspection!
I am looking at a Karmann made car. Thanks for the tip.
Kevin
C Coupe