Peddinghaus hammers in early tool kit 1951-55

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
tyler carlson
356 Fan

Peddinghaus hammers in early tool kit 1951-55

#1 Post by tyler carlson »

Prompted by interest and discussion at the recent 356club North/South meet I bring up the topic of Peddinghaus hammers for the early 356 tool kit(1951-55). This for the benifit of those who could not make the meet or who live back east. Over 40 years ago I had a couple of these hammers in cars I owned. When I saw them in the kits I wondered what were hammers doing in the tool kit!!! There was no knowledge base on the subject(I didn't know squat then!) and as they looked out of place-one was given to a Porsche mechanic friend and the other to a friend who shoed horses. At the N/S meet there was a 'sharing of ideas' or speculation as to what was 'uber' correct for what year-a real splitting of the hairs so to speak-it was interesting. What we seemed to concur on was the logo in general for the 1951-55 being the 'din1041' type(see pictures below). What we suspect to be correct for the earliest cars(perhaps starting with the Gmund bodied) is the earlier logo seen in picture below. It appears that the earliest hammers were merely cut-down handles from a more available/built Peddinghaus and that later a more refined handle was available exclusively for the Porsche factory tool kits(requirement). This 'refined' handle is slender and gives the hammer an almost jewelers hammer appearance. And of course the question on everyone's lips-what was it for? The decal on the handle is another age point. In the picture you can see the earliest type(bottom) found on the early hammer-the later(into the late 1950's/early 60's -middle)-and the more common decal found on the 'din1041'(shown is a repro -top). In the picture which shows the logo's you can see the earlier has a wood wedge/later a pronged metal wedge. The third picture shows the original long handled hammers(different eras) and the next ones the cut down and finally the refined exclusively for Porsche handle. This is only about the Peddinghaus and not the Jorg hammer-I have not seen enough of them to make comment-perhaps someone can chime in! I have talked and compaired hammers with several collectors and invite additional sharing of information here.
Attachments
MVC-005S.JPG
MVC-004S.JPG
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-007S.JPG
Last edited by tyler carlson on Mon May 30, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Hall
356 Fan

Re: Peddinghaus hammers in early tool kit 1951-55

#2 Post by Alan Hall »

I always thought, but don't know for sure, that the hammer was not included in the toolkit after 1952. Does anyone have any information on hammers being used in '53 thru '55 toolkits?

Alan

tyler carlson
356 Fan

#3 Post by tyler carlson »

Thanks Alan. Like others-we are trying to find out! I think the first listings of tool kit contents start with the 1956 'A' owner manual. My cars back then a '52 cab-'53 coupe-'55 speedster(not at same time!). The '53 coupe had one in it-it even had the owner's manual. One of the others had a partial kit which had a hammer also. They were rough shape but i remember the logo on the head. As I was definately not the first owner of any of those cars-everything is up for speculation. I don't have any literature to support the inclusion of the hammer in the tool kit and still can't figure what it was for specifically. Sometimes 'it' is just a known thing-the facts passed on-but what i would like is someone to come up with hard fact literature, a period photo or first hand owner experiance. We do know the hammers were in the kits-Peddinghaus and Jorg have both been found in early cars. Many same era european cars had hammers in their tool kits-but why?

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#4 Post by Victor Ingram »

Some of the owners manuals show a hammer being used to take the pin out of the door hinge. It doesnt really show if it is that particular hammer though.
Victor

tyler carlson
356 Fan

#5 Post by tyler carlson »

Thanks Victor -that's pretty cool! Can you post a picture for us? It sounds almost like a 'shop' function/procedure though. Also Eric Cherneff's website '356.ca' tool kit section has some pictures of complete early tool kits with hammers. One is a '52(unmolested-extemely low mile since new) and the other a late '53 or '54 when the bag changed from cloth to 'vinyl'. Please note that on the later bag(vinyl) which is original and was made after late '53-it has an extra slot sewn into its design to accomodate the hammer. This clearly brings the hammer into the 1954 era cars. The '356a' tool kit bag does not have this extra slot as the hammer was not supplied to this tool kit. If you own an original bag for any car from this era-check to see if you have the extra 'pouch/slot' for the hammer. Use the '356.ca' website to compare bags and the number of 'slots'.