Body maker for 65 SC sunroof coupe

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Albert Yue
356 Fan

Body maker for 65 SC sunroof coupe

#1 Post by Albert Yue »

I am trying to find out who makes the body for SC sunroof coupe-Reutter or Karmann?? Is it both? or just one?
Option of the electirc sunroof was not listed in the COA--real sunroof? or clip? or option was just left out in some cases for the COA.
Thanks
Albert Yue

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Body maker for 65 SC sunroof coupe

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

It was my understanding that both Reutter and Karmann cars came with sunroofs, but I think there were more Reutters. I had a Karmann C Sunroof a few years back.

I think the bodies were sent to Goldie, who put the sunroofs in and sent the bodies back.

Not sure about it not being listed on the COA, your car may have been clipped. Check to see if you can find any evidence of this. One of the first things that guy's forget when they clip them is the drain tubes, and the back seats fill up with water when it rains.
Attachments
csunroof.JPG
csunroof.JPG (46.81 KiB) Viewed 1806 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jim Kellogg
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Kellogg »

Albert,
Another check for a sunroof clip is to pinch the A pillar. An original sunroof had a metal channel to secure the front drain tubes; if missing, probably a clip.
Jim Kellogg
356restore

James Schirrippa
356 Fan

#4 Post by James Schirrippa »

I own a 65 SC sunroof,it is a Karmann and the sunroof is on the COA James

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#5 Post by Roy Lock »

I know another T6C sunroof car. Originally made as a SC, but sold as a C when the dealer switched engines and options.

Don't forget, Karmann cars had drain holes with rubber plugs in the rear quarter window portion of the body work.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#6 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Roy Lock wrote:Don't forget, Karmann cars had drain holes with rubber plugs in the rear quarter window portion of the body work.

Hi Roy,

Are you saying that Reutter cars had A pillar tubes for the drains and the Karmann cars had the tubes with drain holes at the rear quarter?

Was it that one car had one setup and the other car had a different setup for the drains?

Thanks!
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#7 Post by Roy Lock »

They had drain tubes in both the A and C pillars. Karmann cars also had drain holes drilled into the quarter window sill. These holes where covered up by the quarter window rubber. They appeared on all Karmann coupes.
Since I have a #%^! operating system, I can notmpost pictures of these holes so I will send them to younon a PM and you can post here for me.

Yes Barry, I should change to Firefox, but I have some unique software I am running that injust dont want to screw with. :D
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky"