C tool kits/bags. I'll show you mine, you show me yours

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

Re: C tool kits/bags. I'll show you mine, you show me yours

#16 Post by Paul Hatfield »

And the part everybody wants to argue about....
4 wrench set:
I think I have a few more pictures of my tool kit on my website at http://www.enginesinback.com

Paul
Attachments
Wrench Set 001 (Large).jpg
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Gary Koehler
356 Fan

#17 Post by Gary Koehler »

Jim, Here's the tool bag from my '65. I posted this to Jon's thread, meant to post it here;
Gary
phpA27brnPM.jpg
phpnXdlI9PM.jpg
php08mXYMAM.jpg

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#18 Post by Jim Breazeale »

So far, I haven't seen any 2 kits that are alike. We can argue that a couple of the kits shown are 912s but Let's just keep our opinions to ourselves and see where this goes.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#19 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Just a quick explanation:
In my pictures of my bag, the color is showing up dark in the first photo where the tools are in the bag. It is not that dark. I think I did not use a flash on that shot. Anyway, the following two pictures of front (without tools) and back are much more representative of the color. which is a blueish green like many other 356 C bags.

The contents of my tool kit are:
1 bluish green vinyl bag
1 Fan Belt marked PORSCHE and made by Phoenix. 9.5 x 825 La and dated 3/06 (June of 1963)
1 Dual Guage Messko 0 – 50 PSI (3.5 bar) with plastic pouch
1 Pudenz fuse kit in plastic container
1 KLEIN phillips screwdriver
1 KLEIN straight slot screwdriver
1 19mm lug wrench with “tail”
1 21 MM KLEIN spark plug wrench, 9 “ long with “tommy bar”
1 4 wrench set of open ended wrenches. DROP FORGED with matching font. Sizes 8 x 9, 10 x 11, 12 x 14 and 17 x 19
1 Generator wrench
1 Pliers with the fish skin cross hatch style handles, raised jaws at the cutting edge, and no manufacturers name
1 Black annodized lug nut

1 Jack

Paul
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#20 Post by George Bryan »

Hi all, well here's some more fixins for the pot. 3 different C/SC bags with tools & stuff.

The first bag is more blue-green than gray as it shows. It was from a C car I parted decades ago, an orig car one owner car hit hard in front.

The second, a Black smooth finish, is the one for my 64C cab. I have been told this is "correct" by an expert tool goober, but I make no claim.

The third (& 4th), a Black grain finish is kind of interesting. I bought these at Stoddard Swap meet in 88 when Gary Gold was my parts rep. He let back then jobber account holders go thru the 'attic' while we were there...anyhow, these two kits were what HE SAID the factory sent for years as replacement tool kits...so what are they Repro/OE? I don't know, but they are BRAND NEW. They have been sealed until I opened one today for the cause after all these decades stored away. Each well worn plastic bag has a tag, with part number 644.721.001.02 Tool Bag C/SC Made in Germany on it.

THE BLUE/GREEN BAG:
-Grainy vinyl Blue/Green color (even though it shows gray in the pics)
-Spark Plug tool is Klein 21
-Jack handle/Lug with Sticker remnant I tried to get a close up of for you.
-Tommy bar no marks
-Pliers marked Klein, cross hatch handles
-Messko maroon-red Bakelite w/red plastic pouch
-Gen wrench no marking
-Fan Belt green letters & numbers marked Optibelt/Porsche
-Wrenches Drop Forged Steel 8/9 10/11 12/14 17/19
-Screw drivers large red plastic Klein and Germany
-Lug nut
-Paper Box with both 8 & 16 Amp fuses
-Cab tool
IMG_0871.JPG
IMG_0878.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
NEXT-- BLACK BAG, Smooth Finish Thick Vinyl,
Same tools as above, but has the following differences:
-LugWrench is marked just 19mm (no Klein)
-Pliers no Klein mark, but same cross hatch handles
-Messko, same as other but in Maroon Leather Pouch
-Fuse Pack is different, Plastic marked Pudenz
-Fan Belt is Marked Phoenix & Porsche
IMG_0876.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG
NEXT is BLACK BAG (never opened) Grainy Vinyl slightly different pattern than the blue-green one. Same items as others, unless listed below:
-Has C screwdrivers with Klein in Gold
-Lug wrench has 19mm & Klein on handle
-Pliers have no marks
-Plug Wrench has Klein 21 Germany
-Wrench set is Special Slected Steel 8/9 10/11 12/13 14/15 17/19
-Tire Gauge is black motometer in brown leather pouch
IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG
OK my best shot to contribute to the pool of confusion (Knowledge?). Make no claims as to what is right or not. I was never a tool guy...used to throw them away and put Craftsman stuff in the bags. These are all hi res pics so click on them & they should expand for better detail looks.

Tom McCoy's 64 C one owner coupe has the identical tool kit as the smooth heavy black vinyl one except his bag is tobacco brown color.

Comments?

Regards,
George

Rob Green
356 Fan

#21 Post by Rob Green »

Jim and All,

Hi from snowy Utah. Just thought I would submit some photos of a tool kit I put together from items I found in my tool chest, hardware stores and on the web. My car came minus a tool kit, so this was my best effort to have a tool kit as close as I could to the original. Not intended for show, but it was fun putting together.

Thanks,

Rob Green
1964 C coupe
Attachments
DSC00038.JPG
DSC00039.JPG
DSC00042.JPG
DSC00045.JPG
DSC00043.JPG

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#22 Post by Paul Hatfield »

George-
That is a very impressive display. Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

One comment on the Messko. I normally associate the Messko provided with the C cars with the gray plastic pouch. Earlier leather pouches could have still been around and picked off the shelf, so nothing is absolute, but I think the normal pouch was the gray plastic one. The red pouches I believe were supplied with the Stoddard commissioned Messko gauges. Those gauges were made in Switzerland, not Germany, and say so right on the gauge face. Of course, all of this is my opinion only, not fact.

Paul
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#23 Post by George Bryan »

Hi Paul. I am down in the garage & pulled both Messko red/maroon gauges. They both are marked Made in Germany on the lower face. I've always been told about the gray case as being the only correct one, but both these are in different pouches and are the same gauge. I am normally not a tool guy, but this thread has me curious.

I'd most like to find out about the (new old stock, old stock, new old reproduction stock or just chicken or beef stock) two cases I pictured that have been sealed in plastic all these years. Except for a few tool markings, and the gauge they are the same as the five wrench C kit I've seen as 'correct' (whatever that means).

Maybe that's why Jim started the thread. Since it was the end of line beofre the new series I bet they were cleaning off the shelves. Its like the tool kit put together guys had these big boxes of stuff to assemble the kits, when one thing was running low someone went to a shelf gabbbed the latest stuff there and dumped it in the box, and the process repeated including the last pieces bought at the hardware store on Friday lunch time as they had no more in the box to use that day....not sure FIFO or LIFO were assembly line practices. :wink:

Big Jim, any observations yet, or too early to tell?

All the best,
George

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

#24 Post by Richard Milstead »

George, Paul,
It is my understanding that the color of the plastic covers changed from gray to the red sometime in the early 911/912 era. Since the tire guage was delivered with those kits up to 1967 but only obtainable from the dealer parts department after that I am unsure when this happened. Perhaps someone else may have better info. However, I don't think Stoddard specifically was involved. With respect to the leather pouch, while rare, "C" Meskos were delivered with such pouches. One of the four original owner kits studied by Jim Perrin had a leather tire guage pouch (which he also states are rare). I have seen a couple of examples over the years with this red leather pouch, most of which I speculate were early but again that is pure speculation. Jim doesn't say which of the four his leather pouch came from but three of the four were from 65's and one was from a 64 built in late 63. Since I believe that the Meskos came from the vendor with the pouch, ie. I don't believe that Porsche's tool kit assembler added them, Paul could be correct that they were substituted by Mesko to use up old stocks of leather ones. The photo of the tool kit seen in the Driver's Manual shows the Mesko with the gray plastic pouch. That photo was taken sometime before introduction of the 356C in July 1963 (in Europe).
Dick Milstead
Dick Milstead

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#25 Post by Paul Hatfield »

I see Scott Emsley selling the kit below right now on E-Bay. Scott is an ultra knowledgeable tool kit guru.

Item is located here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/64-65-PO ... 1e632336ae

Perhaps Scott will chime in.

Paul
Attachments
tool kit on EBay.JPG
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"

John Lewenauer
356 Fan

#26 Post by John Lewenauer »

1964 356C Well, I seem to have everything except the fuses. My set has "patina." My bag is blue/green just like George's above.
Attachments
356C toolkit (9).jpg
356C toolkit (8).jpg
356C toolkit (7).jpg
356C toolkit (6).jpg
356C toolkit (4).jpg
356C toolkit (3).jpg
356C toolkit (2).jpg
1964 356 C Coupe, Togo/Fawn, Chassis 126634
Enjoy some pictures of my Togo 356 at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603043153749/show/

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#27 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Tom-
Nice photos! That makes 3 of the 4 wrench sets, all 3 are in the blueish green bag- yours, George B's and mine. Makes me wonder if there is anyone who has a 4 wrench set that they know DID NOT come in a blueish green bag.
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"

Tom McCoy
356 Fan

#28 Post by Tom McCoy »

This is out of my early 64C I purchased from the original owner. This should create a question or two.
Note:
>Red Mesko case with "made in Germany" on the gage.
>Brown bag of the very thick vinyl. Note the black stripe "flaw" on the vinyl inside the bag. Also note the stitching goes over the black mark, proving this is not a stain or dirt. OMG! Porsche used something that was not perfect?? Surely not.
>4 wrench set
>Original Klein sticker on the lug wrench
Blah blah blah.

Tom
Attachments
Heavy vinyl brown bag
Heavy vinyl brown bag
clasp
clasp
Kit
Kit

Tom McCoy
356 Fan

#29 Post by Tom McCoy »

Additional pictures
Attachments
4 wrench set
4 wrench set
Red Mesko pouch with "Made in Germany" on the gage
Red Mesko pouch with "Made in Germany" on the gage
Brown bag with mark from the factory. Note the stitching trough the mark is clean.
Brown bag with mark from the factory. Note the stitching trough the mark is clean.
Registry Number: Who cares?

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#30 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Very impressive. Especially for a McCoy!
:P :P :P :P

No feud here!

~Paul Hatfield
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"