Tool kit bag, original color?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Richard Milstead
356 Fan

Re: Tool kiy bag, original color?

#16 Post by Richard Milstead »

Charlie,
As Sgt. Schultz was want to say "veeeery interesting"! It would be very interesting to see the inside of this kit and thel tools in it to see if anything about the vintage of the kit could be determined from those. The difference between the two catches is in how the are attached to the bag. The same style of catch has been made in both forms for many years and is still available today with subtle differences. The vendors who make repro "C" tool kit bags still use them. The texture of the vinyl on this bag looks more 911/912 to me but variation of the texture is often seen in the 356C bags as well so that doesn't mean anything definitive. I have always speculated that many things like this were more a migratory process that a definite change at model changeover type of thing (althought that certainly did happen in some cases as well). The exact transition to the 911/912 style latch and elimination of the little vinyl tab are usually considered to be diagnostic of the change from 356C to 911/912 tool bags but maybe this happened differently then we all have supposed. Could your bag be some sort of missing link? We all need to remember to "never say never or always". Just a thought.
Dick Milstead
Dick Milstead

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

Re: Tool kiy bag, original color?

#17 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Sterling wrote:
"When I saw those toolkits I immediately began to salivate uncontrollably".

Duuuuuuude, you need to chill out!

Eric

Here are some pictures of C tool bags. I also snuck in a picture of an early 911 tool bag for comparison. I took these pictures just outside my building as the smoke was too thick inside. All 3 of these bags have the same number of pockets in the same configuration. I think it would be good to start a new thread with C tool kits. I'm sure many of us have original ( or assumed to be original) tool kits. Let's all take some photos and post them and Eric can include this info in his tool kit info. No assumptions need to be made, just post photos and let Eric decide what content to use.

Regards
Attachments
IMG_0636.jpg
IMG_0635.jpg
IMG_0634.jpg
IMG_0633.jpg
IMG_0632.jpg
IMG_0631.jpg
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Gary Koehler
356 Fan

Re: Tool kit bag, original color?

#18 Post by Gary Koehler »

Jim,
These pics are from a '65, don't know if original though.
Gary
Attachments
phpA27brnPM.jpg
phpnXdlI9PM.jpg
php08mXYMAM.jpg