Carpet Color For T2?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Tom Scott
356 Fan

Carpet Color For T2?

#1 Post by Tom Scott »

I have been advised that all T2 cars only had oatmeal color carpets, this is a new one on me. Perhaps I misunderstood when I was discussing a silver Convertible D with red interior and heard the statement. My question is, was a there a standard, or only, color carpet for T2, in general, and Convertible D with red interior, in particular?

Thanks,

Tom Scott :?:

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Carpet Color For T2?

#2 Post by Chuck House »

Tom Scott wrote:I have been advised that all T2 cars only had oatmeal color carpets, this is a new one on me. Perhaps I misunderstood when I was discussing a silver Convertible D with red interior and heard the statement. My question is, was a there a standard, or only, color carpet for T2, in general, and Convertible D with red interior, in particular?

Thanks,

Tom Scott :?:
Tom,

We both know that "all" is sometimes contradicted by exceptions, however most T2s I've seen have oatmeal carpets. Albeit, I can't say all of them. I know of an unrestored silver Convertible D with red interior and oatmeal carpets (I can forward a few photos later) and I have a ConvD with original black interior and oatmeal carpets along with a T2 Speedster with original red interior and oatmeal carpets. Certainly that is the overwhelming trend that I've seen.
Chuck House
Southern California

Nanette Reid
356 Fan

#3 Post by Nanette Reid »

One of those questions that I'm now needing some direction with also.

I have a 59 A Coupe, Aquamarine Blue and red interior. From reading several books and getting information from everyone here, I'm thinking it probably came with oatmeal carpet - anyone out there with that combination who can support my thinking (or totally blow it out of the water!! :P )

steve shea
356 Fan

#4 Post by steve shea »

I have a letter from Jurgen Barth, 11/90, decoding a previous letter that stated my 58 speedster 84742 color no. was 5704 A. I did not know what A meant. Jurgen stated A was red/ oatmeal and B was black/oatmeal. No other interior color combo was discussed but if you have red or black it's only oatmeal SS
steve shea

Art Andersen
356 Fan

#5 Post by Art Andersen »

Nanette Reid wrote:One of those questions that I'm now needing some direction with also.

I have a 59 A Coupe, Aquamarine Blue and red interior. From reading several books and getting information from everyone here, I'm thinking it probably came with oatmeal carpet - anyone out there with that combination who can support my thinking (or totally blow it out of the water!! :P )

Nanette,
I have the same 59A, same color but when I re-did my interior back in 1982 the carpet was Red!
Art Andersen