Correct window Mfg. T-6 Coupe

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

Correct window Mfg. T-6 Coupe

#1 Post by Alex Mestas »

My 1963 Coupe is number 211259, with a production completion date of August 1, 1962 a Karmann works body.

As the second owner I've owned the car for 30 years. I have only replaced the front windshield 30 years ago and I'll assume the rest are original to the car. In looking at the window logo etching I have the following:

Windshield: The logo on the lower left corner is "Sigla"
Rear window: The logo is "Sekurit"
Roll up door windows: Logos are both "Durvit B."
Wing windows:1 window logo is "Durvit B." and the other is "Sekurit"
Quarter windows: Logo are both "Sigla"

In discussing this issue with fellow 63 T-6 owners we found a variety of Mfg. within our cars.

My question is...Did Porsche use certain glass Mfg. on certain years and mix those Mfg. windows on the same car. Which are correct if there is a authentic order when dealing with the glass on our cars.
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

Re: Correct window Mfg. T-6 Coupe

#2 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Alex Mestas wrote:My 1963 Coupe is number 211259, with a production completion date of August 1, 1962 a Karmann works body.

As the second owner I've owned the car for 30 years. I have only replaced the front windshield 30 years ago and I'll assume the rest are original to the car. In looking at the window logo etching I have the following:

Windshield: The logo on the lower left corner is "Sigla"
Rear window: The logo is "Sekurit"
Roll up door windows: Logos are both "Durvit B."
Wing windows:1 window logo is "Durvit B." and the other is "Sekurit"
Quarter windows: Logo are both "Sigla"

In discussing this issue with fellow 63 T-6 owners we found a variety of Mfg. within our cars.

My question is...Did Porsche use certain glass Mfg. on certain years and mix those Mfg. windows on the same car. Which are correct if there is a authentic order when dealing with the glass on our cars.
Alex

Alex

The qtr windows, back glass and the windshield are pretty much all the same and come from the manufacturers that you already stated. The door glasses and vent wing glasses come from Sekurit or Durvit. The "durvit" glass seems to be a T6B thing. I can't say that I have paid all that much attention when I cut up 100s of T6Bs, but I can say with confidence that most T6Bs came with "Durvit" vent glasses and door glasses. I don't recall ever seeing a car with a mix of Durvit and Securit door glass/vent glass, though. Your vent glass was probably replaced when nobody cared and the main idea was to get a piece of glass where some butthead broke into the car to steal your fancy "Porsche radio".

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#3 Post by Alex Mestas »

Hi Jim!
Your insight is always appreciated. Thank you. In surveying a few of my fellow T-6 owners mine was the only one with mix glass mfg. and I just couldn't leave well enough alone. See what happens when you have an authenticity forum?
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Mark Reich
356 Fan

#4 Post by Mark Reich »

Alex -=

My T5 coupe had the same mix of Durvit and Sekurit glass for the front vent windows. I have a replacement Sekurit to make the match. My rear glass is Sekurit as are the roll-ups and the rear quarters are Sigla (you can see my post about handed glass).
Mark Reich
'61 T5B Super Coupe - Heron Grey
'18 911 Carrera - Miami Blue

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Jim Breazeale »

T5/T6 vent wing glass. No vent glass is "handed" the logo is always on the same side. It is on the inside of the glass of one side of the car and the outside of the glass on the opposite side of the car.
Attachments
3 different Securit logos. I'm pretty sure the middle one is a replacement glass manufatured later than 1965
3 different Securit logos. I'm pretty sure the middle one is a replacement glass manufatured later than 1965
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Durvit vent glass. Generally found on T6B coupes
Attachments
IMG_0644.jpg
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com

John Wurner
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Wurner »

63 Cabrio, purchased from original owner, Sigla windshield, Rt wind wing DURAVIT, left wind wing SECURIt, door windows both SECURIT. None of the windows were ever changed.
62/63 T-6 Coupe 210600, Sigla windshield, SECURIT left wing, DURAVIT rt wing, DURAVIT left door, Duravit rt door, No logo on either side pop out windows, Securit rear window.
Just to add my two cars to the mix.

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Jim Breazeale »

John Wurner wrote:63 Cabrio, purchased from original owner, Sigla windshield, Rt wind wing DURAVIT, left wind wing SECURIt, door windows both SECURIT. None of the windows were ever changed.
62/63 T-6 Coupe 210600, Sigla windshield, SECURIT left wing, DURAVIT rt wing, DURAVIT left door, Duravit rt door, No logo on either side pop out windows, Securit rear window.
Just to add my two cars to the mix.
John

Go back and look closer at your quarter windows. They have a logo, or they are replacement windows from a local glass shop. The logo can be very faint. It will say Sigla.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com